Kind of pain

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Lisica, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. Lisica Member

    Hi! Is there a word or phrase in Enlish that descibes this special kind of pain people feel in their muscles the next day after exercises, running, hard work, etc? It's caused by lactic acid. I know that in sport it's called DOMS, but what do you call it in everyday language? can you give me some examples (sentences)?
  2. Lisica, 'zakwasy' in English are 'muscle sores'. :)
  3. Lisica Member

    Thanks a lot! Zakwasy was the meaning I was thinking of but in my dictionary I found only zakwas spożywczy, so sth totally different. :)
  4. arturolczykowski

    arturolczykowski Senior Member

    Farnham, UK
    The medical term is: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) but "muscle sores" or "muscle soreness" are more popular terms.
  5. Suehil

    Suehil Medemod

    Tillou, France
    British English
    You very often hear people speak of being 'stiff' or 'stiff and sore' after exercise. I have heard of 'muscle soreness', but never used it. I have never heard 'muscle sores' - that sounds to my English ears like wounds or ulcers on the muscles.
  6. JamesM

    JamesM à la Mod (English Only)

    I second that. "Muscle sores" sounds pretty nasty. :) "Muscle soreness" is a common phrase heard on television ads. "Sore muscles" is something I would expect to hear in conversation.

Share This Page