kinky, nappy (hair)

Indonesian, Indonesia
Hello!

Replying in another thread made me wonder if other languages have a specific name for the hair type typical of subsaharan Africans. I reckon in English it's called kinky or nappy.

In Indonesian we have the word kribo or keribo.

I don't know for sure what's the etymology of the word.
In any case, there are native Indonesians who have such hair, although I don't think they have anything to do with black Africans (I might be wrong, though).

We also have the word ikal to refer to a hair type somewhere between wavy and curly.

Thanks!

Salam,

MarX

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
In Portuguese there is the noun carapinha for it.

In any case, there are native Indonesians who have such hair, although I don't think they have anything to do with black Africans (I might be wrong, though).
Yes, I believe the idea that this kind of hair is found in all Africans, and only in Africans, is a popular misconception.

Joannes

Belgian Dutch
I was going to write kroezelhaar (the type of hair) and kroezelig (the adjective pertaining to it) for Dutch, but I looked them up in an online dictionary, and it turns out to be the case that people in the Netherlands rather say kroeshaar (and kroezig, I suppose)...

Last edited:

Nanon

français (France)
French has "cheveux crépus", Spanish has "cabello crespo". In some Latin American (Caribbean) countries, "pelo malo" (i.e. "bad hair") is often heard (straight, "white" hair is preferred over nappy Afro hair).

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
In Portuguese there is the noun carapinha for it.
In Brazil there's also crespo, pixaim and my grandmother also said pimenta-do-reino. :) There must be tons more, but I can't remember. I'd say that most or all of them are rather derogatory terms and should avoided (or so I think).

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
I wouldn't say that carapinha is derogatory in Portugal, though it is a word rarely used nowadays. I suppose it is best avoided, just to be on the safe side.

Indonesian, Indonesia
Thanks for the replies so far!

To Portu speakers:
How would you use the words you mentioned?
They don't seem to be adjectives.
Do you say something like:
Ele tem uma carapinha
... um crespo
... um pixaim
... uma pimenta-do-reina

?

Salam,

MarX

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
To Portu speakers:
How would you use the words you mentioned?
They don't seem to be adjectives.
Do you say something like:
Ele tem (uma) carapinha:tick:
Or "a carapinha dele", etc.

There are also other expressions for frizzy hair.

Last edited:

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
In German this would be "krauses Haar" (which would be referring to hair just being so, no matter for what reason - if naturally so or if the hair stylist is responsible for it, due to some error he or she made, or also by purpose: the so-called Afro Look) or "Kraushaar" (in which case one would rather think that the cause is natural, or in the genes, but not necessarily so).

Also there's the term "Locke" and "lockiges Haar", but this does not mean the specifical look of "krauses Haar". Further, a "Dauerwelle" is "lockiges Haar" due to treatment at the hair stylist's ("Dauerwelle" is not quite an Afro Look) - so no "krauses Haar" too, here.

Yes, I believe the idea that this kind of hair is found in all Africans, and only in Africans, is a popular misconception.
Yes, of course Europeans also can have "krauses Haar" (or whatever you call it in your language). The difference is that with Africans "krauses Haar" would be the norm while with Europeans (with no direct African ancestry, of course, except for the ancient one as all humans are descendants of African homo sapiens) it is the exception.

The most popular "Kraushaar" person in German literature is the Struwwelpeter (by Wilhelm Busch).
Nevertheless, even though the outcome of long European hair may be rather similar to African hair (Struwwelpeter certainly reminds one of Afro Look) this depends on hair type, and nevertheless 'technicaly' both hair types (African and European) are different (as is Asian hair, by the way).

Hakro

Finnish - Finland
In Finnish we have two words quite close to each other but meaning different hair:

kihara = curly hair
kähärä = typical Afrirican hair, but also artificially frizzed hair

(The Finnish words are adjectives.)

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
Also there's the term "Locke" and "lockiges Haar", but this does not mean the specifical look of "krauses Haar". Further, a "Dauerwelle" is "lockiges Haar" due to treatment at the hair stylist's ("Dauerwelle" is not quite an Afro Look) - so no "krauses Haar" too, here.
Are those terms for dreadlocks?

kusurija

Lithuania Czech
In Czech:
kudrnatý (curly [person, hair...])
kudrny (curliness, curled - about hair)
kudrnatost :confused: ((degree of) hair curliness)

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
Are those terms for dreadlocks?
No, they aren't. (So MarX is right here.)
Dreadlocks actually always would be called 'dreadlocks' in German - it really is impossible to get a dreadlock hair style at your stylists' with using any word from German origin: you might come out with any possible hair style but certainly not with dreadlocks.

'Locke' and 'lockiges Haar' is curly hair (but not curly like 'krauses Haar' - African style, and certainly not dreadlocks).
And 'Dauerwelle' is perm as already posted by MarX.

Juri

italian/Slovenia
In Italian we say as Portu and Spanish "capelli crespi" ;with them are formed "treccine" little pigtails; such hairdressing is named "afro style" or acconciatura afro.

apmoy70

Greek
In MoGr the adj. is «σγουρός, -ρή, -ρό» [zɣuˈɾɔs] (masc.), [zɣuˈɾi] (fem.), [zɣuˈɾɔ] (neut.) of unknown etymology (possibly from the Byz. Gr. adj. «σβουρός» sbourós --> live wire, spinner < fem. «σβούρα» sboúra --> spinning top (onomatopoeic)).

We commonly use the compound «σγουρομάλλης, -λλα, -λλο» [zɣu.ɾɔˈma.lis] (masc.), [zɣu.ɾɔˈma.la] (fem.), [zɣuˈɾɔ.ma.lɔ] (neut.) --> curly, of-curly-hair < «σγουρός» + «μαλλιά» [maˈʎa] (neut. nom. pl.) --> the hair on top of the head < Byz. Gr. «μαλλία» mallía (neut. nom. pl.) with synizesis < Classical masc. «μαλλός» măllós --> flock of wool (with obscure etymology).

The noun is «σγουράδα» [zɣuˈɾa.ða] (fem.).