kirai, utomashiku omou

< Previous | Next >

JapanForever

French
Hi there,
I would like to know if there is a daifference between "kirai" and utomashiku omou. The two mean "to hate" but I would like to know if there is any difference iparticluary in these two sentences:
妹想いであるという感情さえ、本人は疎ましく感じている。
妹想いであるという感情さえ、本人は嫌いです。
Thanks for your help

Last edited:
  • 嫌い is a more general and clearer word. If you say 嫌い you clearly hate it, weaker or stronger.

On the other hand, in my opinion, 疎ましい is rather a passive feeling. If you feel something 疎ましい, you don't like to face it and you want to forget about it or keep it at a distance (It's suggestive that the originial sense of the kanji "" is "distant" or "sparse").

I also have a feeling that 疎ましい implies an unwanted guest or an event that eventually (and often) comes to you.
    For example, let's suppose you don't like carrots. "私はにんじんが嫌いです" is a common expression to describe it, while "私はにんじんを疎ましく思います" sounds less idiomatic. But if you have to meet carrots every morning, it would make sense :)
    As another example, even if you don't really hate your mother, you may still want to say "母を疎ましく思う" (= "母が疎ましい" = "母が疎ましいと思う" etc.) if your mom comes to your apartment to moan at you every week.

In the case of the sentences you quoted, both make sense. But probably the author chose 疎ましい to describe something like that: He doesn't like his own emotion, but he also can't deny it.

JapanForever

French
    So the difference between these two sentences are something like :
    "He felt something for his sister, but don't like to admit it."
    "He felt something for his sister but hate it."

< Previous | Next >