kitsch strings [musical instruments]

< Previous | Next >

artekhound

Russian - Belarus
How I met my certain fate by Stewart Lee

When Richard Thomas’s songs were arranged and underscored by [...] arrangers, they necessarily made interpretive choices about the intent of the material, scoring a lyric that could have been taken as ironic, sincere, delusional or triumphant with a musical-theatre texture, such as kitsch strings or jolly staccato guitar.
Stewart Lee describes the music in opera he used to direct.
Does kitsch strings mean that these musical instruments were used in order to prompt sadness in the audience?

Thanks in advance

• Packard

USA, English
    Kitsch – Art Term | Tate

Kitsch

Kitsch is the German word for trash, and is used in English to describe particularly cheap, vulgar and sentimental forms of popular and commercial culture

In the USA in the 1970s the classic example of "kitsch" would have been paintings on black velvet, were typically done in bright colors and were sold frequently by roadside vendors. It appealed to "lowbrow" buyers.

By extension I would assume that music that appeals to the unsophisticated listener would be called "kitsch". (I do wonder if that would include almost all contemporary "pop" music.)

artekhound

Russian - Belarus
    Kitsch – Art Term | Tate

Kitsch

Kitsch is the German word for trash, and is used in English to describe particularly cheap, vulgar and sentimental forms of popular and commercial culture

In the USA in the 1970s the classic example of "kitsch" would have been paintings on black velvet, were typically done in bright colors and were sold frequently by roadside vendors. It appealed to "lowbrow" buyers.

By extension I would assume that music that appeals to the unsophisticated listener would be called "kitsch". (I do wonder if that would include almost all contemporary "pop" music.)

Thanks, that's very helpful

< Previous | Next >