kiwi - gender

Etcetera

Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
Ciàu,

In Russian, the word "kiwi" has two meanings: it may mean a bird or a fruit. Kiwi bird is feminine in Russian, but kiwi fruit can be either masculine or neuter - it seems that it depends on the speaker's preferences.

How it is in your language?

• Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    The Portuguese word is quivi (sometimes it's spelled kiwi, but everyone pronounces it "quivi").

As the name of a fruit, it's masculine. As the name of a bird, I only recall hearing it in the masculine too, though this word could easily be epicene (of both genders).

Q-cumber

Etcetera

According to the Russian Spelling Dictionary, kiwi-bird belongs to the male gender:
    киви 1 и киви-киви, нескл., м. (птица)

киви 2, нескл., м. и с. (дерево и плод его)
    By the way, Kiwi is also a colloquial term (the self-name) for the people of NZ. It is widely used in New Zealand newspapers and so on.

Frank06

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Hi,

In Dutch, both the fruit and the bird are masculin.

Groetjes,

Frank

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Ciàu,

In Russian, the word "kiwi" has two meanings: it may mean a bird or a fruit. Kiwi bird is feminine in Russian, but kiwi fruit can be either masculine or neuter - it seems that it depends on the speaker's preferences.

How it is in your language?
    Funnily, in German it's the other way round. :)

A kiwi bird is masculine (der Kiwi) and the fruit is feminine (die Kiwi). The neuter gender is not used for the word "Kiwi," though.

Henryk

Germany, German
    It's mostly used in the plural, "die Kiwis".

The singular (der Kiwi :arrow: masculine) should be avoided due to the possibility to be confused with the bird. :D

Jana337

čeština
    In Czech:

Kiwi (bird) - masculine (but it took me a while to convince myself :))
    Kiwi (fruit) - neutral

Q-cumber

I think that meaning of "kiwi" is only common in the English language.
    I don't think so. Indeed, this meaning of the word might be not so common, but this is because we don't talk about Diggers that often. However, a sportive TV commentator most probably would call NZ athletes "Kiwis".

Q-cumber

You mean in Russian?... Not in Portuguese.
    Yep, I meant in Russain.

КАКОГО РОДА КИВИ? (Which gender is kiwi? A linguistic article)

Что такое киви, мы узнали, когда среди экзотических фруктов на рынках и в магазинах появился этот заморский плод. И хочется спросить: "А какое это киви - сладкое или кислое?". Мы согласовали прилагательные с незнакомым словечком по среднему роду и не ошиблись. -------->

apmoy70

Greek
    In Greek the fruit is called «ακτινίδιο» [aktiˈniði.o] and it's neuter, while the untranslated name of the bird is «κίβι» [ˈcivi] also neuter.
    If however one prefers to use the translated name of the bird, then «απτέρυγας» [apˈteɾiɣas] or (archaism) «απτέρυξ» [apˈteɾik͡s] is masculine.

Last edited:

Gavril

English, USA
    Icelandic kíví is masculine when referring to the bird, and neuter when referring to the fruit. (There might be some variability, but that is the gender usage I've seen.)

The bird is often called by the longer word kíví-fugl ("kiwi bird"), and since fugl is masculine, this may have influenced the gender of kíví as well. Likewise, the phrase kíví-aldin ("kiwi fruit") is sometimes used for the fruit, and aldin is neuter.

spindlemoss

Welsh
    Welsh ciwi, Irish cíobhaí and Manx keewee are all masculine but Scottish Gaelic kiwi seems to be feminine.

nimak

Macedonian
    Macedonian

For many Macedonians the word for the fruit kiwi, in Macedonian spelled киви (kivi) ['kivi] looks like a plural form, so they use кива (kiva) ['kiva] for the singular form, which is feminine gender. So, in everyday communication the most used forms for this fruit are: кива (kiva) fem. sg.; киви (kivi) pl. Just compare it with the Macedonian word for "plum" слива (sliva) fem. sg., сливи (slivi) pl.

On the other hand, linguists say the proper forms should be: киви (kivi) neuter gender singular; кивија (kivija) ['kivija] plural. These forms are used for the bird too.

Last edited:

Zareza

Romanian
    In Romanian it is pronounced /kivi/

kiwi (bird) - feminine invariable

kiwi (fruit) - neuter invariable - un kiwi / două kiwi = one kiwi / two kiwi

< Previous | Next >