Knock down the opponent (Judo,wrestling)

keramus

Persian
Hello everybody

In boxing we use to knock down the opponent when we make our opponent fall to the ground. What I really want to know is this:
212305_312.jpg
46483055277804578414.jpg
Can we use knock down in order to describe the pictures above? For example in Judo or Wrestling and similar sports.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
  • MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Are you sure you're not thinking of "Knock out" in boxing? That's what I would think is the more common term.

For Judo and the like a currently used term is to "take down". Since Judo for example allows both foot sweeps and throws a "take down" isn't necessarily a "throw", but could be a "sweep". I'm not sure how it's labeled in wrestling if allowed. I think this also carries over to MMA language found in the UFC for example.

keramus

Persian
    First of all, thank you.
    Second of all, yes. I'm sure that I'm not thinking of Knocking out. I mean causing our opponent to fall to the ground.

sdgraham

USA English
    Are you sure you're not thinking of "Knock out" in boxing? That's what I would think is the more common term.

For Judo and the like a currently used term is to "take down". Since Judo for example allows both foot sweeps and throws a "take down" isn't necessarily a "throw", but could be a "sweep". I'm not sure how it's labeled in wrestling if allowed. I think this also carries over to MMA language found in the UFC for example.
    MMA????
    UFC???

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Is it acceptable to use Throw?
    or
    Throw the opponent to the ground.
    The wrestling image as far as I can see depicts a throw. Since I'm not a Judo practitioner I honestly can't tell if that's a foot sweep or a throw, and I actually don't know if a Judoka would consider a sweep to also be a throw. In either case they're both "take downs".

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Come to think of it I think it's pretty common to write "takedown" as opposed to "take down". Graham, could you explain what the difference would be between those two ways of writing it?

sdgraham

USA English
    Come to think of it I think it's pretty common to write "takedown" as opposed to "take down". Graham, could you explain what the difference would be between those two ways of writing it?
    I can only find "takedown" and "take-down" in a cursory search, including dictionary.com and Collins (British) English Dictionary. Note that it has application outside the world of martial arts.

Also, it seems to follow the pattern of two-word nouns eventually being combined,such as in : take out / take-out / takeout

< Previous | Next >