knock somebody off the rolls

< Previous | Next >

apblopes

Portuguese, Brazil
Hi
What does this sentence mean?
her state hires a company.to knock voters off the rolls who aren't likely to vote for you.
I can't understand this "knock voters off the rolls"..
Thanks in advance

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    It means that the company tries to get certain people removed from the official lists (or "rolls") of persons who are registered by the government as entitled to vote in elections. If their names are removed from the lists of registered voters, then they may not then vote at the next election.

Please note that "sb" is not a standard abbreviation commonly used by native English speakers, and many will have no idea what this abbreviation means. If you want native English speakers to understand this question, you need to write out the word "somebody".

bibliolept

AE, Español
    The company finds legal reasons to disqualify people, removing them from the voter registration records cum rolls cum databases; they try to get them removed because they are likely to vote for the other candidate based on demographic factors like age, income, ethnicity, etc.

apblopes

Portuguese, Brazil
    Thank you all.
    Sorry for the wrong abbreviation for somebody, it is used in a Oxford dictionary I have, so I thought it was well known.

< Previous | Next >