Know–All Pierce–All

< Previous | Next >

kahroba

Persian
Hi, everyone
How would you translate "Know-All Pierce-All" in the following context chosen from "The Day of the Locust" by Nathanael West:
Tod and Homer are sitting in Homer's back-yard when a lady appears from around the corner of the garage looking for her son. She is "eager, plump and very American". She is "one of that army of women who drag their children from casting office to casting office and sit for hours, weeks, months, waiting for a chance to show what Junior can do".
Her next question surprised them both.
“Who do you follow?”
“What?” said Tod.
“I mean — in the Search for Health, along the Road of Life?”
They both gaped at her.
“I’m a raw-foodist, myself,” she said. “Dr. Pierce is our leader. You must have seen his ads —‘Know–All Pierce–All.’”

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I wouldn't change them as they seem to be Dr. Pierce's slogan, which is a pun on his name.
    It might suggest "Get to know your veg and pierce them with a fork and eat them":D

kahroba

Persian
    I wouldn't change them as they seem to be Dr. Pierce's slogan, which is a pun on his name.
    It might suggest "Get to know your veg and pierce them with a fork and eat them":D
    The slogan appears once again in the last chapter of the book in a different form:
    A super “Dr. Know–All Pierce–All” had made the necessary promise and they were marching behind his banner in a great united front of screwballs and screw-boxes to purify the land. No longer bored, they sang and danced joyously in the red light of the flames.
    How would you interpret that?

< Previous | Next >