Know beforehand by what people think…

Habituellement

Hello.

I am not sure at all that the following sentence is correct.
The best solution becomes known only afterwards, by what turns out to be more successful, not beforehand by what people think.

I have the feeling that the sentence is not finished (?). In your opinion, is it necessary to add something after "what people think"?

Thank you very much for your help.
Regards.

• MilkyBarKid

British English
    No, because it's understood:
    The best solution becomes known only afterwards, by what turns out to be more successful, not beforehand by what people think is the best solution.

Habituellement

Thank you for your answers, Barque and MilkyBarKid.
    I am not sure why it sounds an incomplete sentence to me.
    My source? This is a personal text that I am writing. The topic of the text is the narrow limits of people's capacity of foresight.
    So, if I understand well, it is possible to write "what people think", and the second proposition, "what people think is the best solution", would be only optional?

kentix

English - U.S.
    My honest opinion - the whole sentence is a bit awkward. I think, ideally, a rewrite is in order, but it's hard to tell without the surrounding context. It seems like the idea you're trying to convey is a bit vague as formulated and therefore the sentence reflects that. For instance, "by what turns out to be" is not very crisp.

< Previous | Next >