know with

< Previous | Next >

thetazuo

Chinese - China
“Maybe they meant to kill the dragons all along and were only using us to get to them. You never know with Tatters.”

Excerpt From
A Dance with Dragons

Context: Tatters is the captain of a mercenary army. “They” are the soldiers of the army.

Hi. What does “with” mean here?
Thank you.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Read it as "With Tatters in charge, you never know what's going to happen". Equivalent to "when Tatters is in charge".

Shweggeh

Lithuanian (not certain)
    "Never know with" as in "You can never be sure about him" this means that he's unpredictable and erratic.

london calling

UK English
    The Free Dictionary:

you never know with (someone or something)
    It's hard or impossible to predict someone's or something's behavior or quality.

I think Jim is supposed to be finishing up that report, but you never know with him—he could have done a bang-up job on it, or he might not have done it at all.
    The TV is supposed to sync up with your phone through this USB adapter, but you never know with these cheap Chinese knockoffs.

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Thank you all. Yes, I know the meaning of “know with”. But I understand the word “with” a bit differently. Can I understand it as “in the case of Tatters” or “where Tatters are concerned/when it comes to Tatters”?

< Previous | Next >