knowing the price beforehand

Mnemon

Persian - پارسی - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
Take the following scenario into consideration:

I recently arrived at an airport. I just want to give my luggage to a porter to carry them for me. But before doing so, I want to be sure that the price is reasonable. What should I say in this situation:

(The things that come to my mind)
1. What is the price?
2. How much should I pay for carrying my luggage?

any idea?

Thanks!

Mnemon

• london calling

UK English
    It really depends if this is a service which you have to pay for or if you are only expected to tip the porter (at your discretion). Which country are you talking about? I haven't seen any porters in UK airports for many years so the problem doesn't arise.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The word "porter" is no longer common, but the situation is still common. Many hotels have employees who take your luggage from the car or bus and carry it (on a trolly) to the front desk. Airports or train stations may still offer this service. And it is very common for someone to carry your luggage from a hotel front desk to your room.

In some situations, the service is free. If the distance is long, a tip is expected. If the distance is long, and you do not know the local customs, it makes sense to ask. If I was in a foreign country, I would ask.

I just want to give my luggage to a porter to carry them for me.
    In AE, the most idiomatic phrases are:

How much is that?
    How much, to carry my bags?

1. What is the price?
    2. How much do I pay for carrying my luggage?
    Those are correct English. Those are fine. No-one expects idiomatic speech from a foreign visitor.

One common answer is "Only a tip." or "Just a tip." If the answer is "(there is) no charge.", you can decide whether to give a tip or not. Did it take the employee half a minute or 8 minutes?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >