...knowledge and ability as well as their experience ...

Tiggie7384

English - Australia
Hello all,

I am having trouble with commas, like many who have English as their mother tongue. I have had to translate the following sentence from Italian into English. I have found that the Italian use of punctuation marks often differs from that of English. Therefore, can someone please tell me if there is a comma missing from the following sentence:

They utilise their knowledge and ability as well as their experience to protect the Client at all times and in the best possible way.

Also if you feel the sentence does not flow well you are welcome to rewrite it.

Thanks heaps,
Tiggie

• ewie

English English
    Hello Tiggie. I can't see anything at all wrong with your sentence. (I'd probably say use rather than utilize but that's just personal preference.)

Also if you feel the sentence does not flow well you are welcome to rewrite it.
    Actually, Tiggie, folks aren't welcome to rewrite it: we wouldn't want to take the bread from the mouth of some poor copy writer/editor, would we?;)

Tiggie7384

English - Australia
    Thanks ewie!

Also I will change it to 'use' as I remember reading a thread (that you were possibly involved in) about the difference between use and utilize/utilise.

Harry Batt

USA English
    Tiggie We've had a few skirmishes on the Forum about the use or elimination of commas. I support the current view that commas should be eliminated unless needed to convey your meaning. Some time ago, I would have recommended using commas: They utilise their knowledge and ability, as well as their experience, to protect the . . . .

Tiggie7384

English - Australia
    Hi Harry,

I do like where you have added the commas, however, as you also agree with ommitting them I will keep the sentence as it is.

I certainly do not wish to be responsible for starting another scuffle ;)

Tiggie

rosina nasir

HINDI
    I am new on this forum and want to learn. Can you all help me? I have a real problem in expression of sentences.So, I am seeking copy editor but no money to pay.

< Previous | Next >