Knowledge deposit/accumulation

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Context and Question:

In today's translation class, my classmate told me one reason he worked hard because he wanted to have high-efficient conversations with various foreigners.He also told me the method to be talkative is to have a certain amount of knowledge deposit.
I was rather confused by what he said, then he explained, when we, the Chinese students, wanted to be talkative, we ought to be knowledgeable; we need to know about everything in English, we should have a certain amount of knowledge accumulation.
After his explanation, I thought I understood a large part of what he said. But I didn't these two exressions are understandable to your ears.

Let me sum up what my classmate said:

If we want to communicate with the foreigners efficiently, we should have a certain amount of knowledge deposit/accumulation.

Which word will you choose?

How I think:

I would like to choose the second one, because I looked up "deposit" in the dictionary, I found out it didn't make sense to me, then I understood it might perhaps be a direct translation of Chinese.

Google help:

The first one bears no result while the second one bears two, which are not from English speaking countries' media.

May I have your opinion?

• sdgraham

USA English
    Let me sum up what my classmate said:

If we want to communicate with the foreigners efficiently, we should have a certain amount of knowledge deposit/accumulation.
    The answer, in my opinion, is "neither," since "knowledge" already is an accumulation of information and to add anything is stilted and wordy, not to mention redundant.

Last edited:

Waylink

English (British)
    I think that the expression [ knowledge deposit ] is not good - it is neither a recognized expression nor does it express a novel idea.

If we want to communicate with foreigners efficiently, we should have a certain amount of knowledge.

You could also say:
    If we want to communicate with foreigners efficiently, we should be knowledgeable.

If we want to communicate with foreigners efficiently, we should be well-informed.

However, in all those cases, it needs to be clear what you are knowledgeable or well-informed about, either implicitly by context or by stating it explicitly.

For example:

... we should be well-informed about current affairs.
    ... we should be knowledgeable about the topic being discussed.

Although I agree that [ knowledge deposit ] and [ knowledge accumulation ] are not appropriate in the example given above, there are times when we do attach words to indicate something about the process that is involved.

For example:

Knowledge accumulation is vital for achieving competitive advantage in business.

The psychologist specialized in studying knowledge acquisition.

Language acquisition is an aspect of psycholinguistics.

Knowledge dissemination is vitally important, especially in technological societies.

< Previous | Next >