knowledge

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Richardandreherrera, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Richardandreherrera Member

Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    knowledge on, about or of? Might anyone help me?

2. ><FISH'> Senior Member

United Kingdom
    British English
    They are all legitimate forms to use.

3. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    They all can be, in some situations, but it depends. What are you trying to say, beyond those two words? In what context?

4. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    Of the three, I can't think of any instance when I would use ' knowledge on'.

We do need some sort of context- you must at least have a sentence in which you want to use "knowledge + ?". Sometimes usage is optional; sometimes it depends on variety of English; sometimes it depends on 'collocation', which means words usually used together for no very obvious reason.
    Otherwise, a dictionary is as good as anything.

Hermione

5. Richardandreherrera Member

Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    I wrote a review in Amazon.com about a book, more or less the following: "Anyone who wants to deepen his/her knowledge on Latin American literature." Is it ok?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  6. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I wouldn't use "on" in that sentence, Richard Andre Herrera. I'd use "of". However, I have heard and read others use "on" after "knowledge". It means the same thing as "about".

7. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    No, I would say either "of" or "about".

8. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    Hi Richard,
    Thank you for the context.
    I would use "knowledge of Latin-American literature".
    As a generalisation, I'd say it is most often "knowledge of something".

:)

Hermione

9. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    "Knowledge of Latin-American literature" is what I, and I believe most native speakers, would usually say or write.

"Knowledge about ..." is also correct, but less common even though the usage "to know about something" is standard. You could write "Anyone who wants to know more about Latin-American literature ..." if you wanted to. That also avoids the problem of gender-specific pronouns.

"Knowledge on ..." is an error. One does not "know on" something in English.

10. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Actually, Egmont, quite a few native speakers do use the preposition. Looking through COCA* for "knowledge on", I found 311 examples with that combination. Not all of them apply to what we're discussing here, but these do. All examples here come from edited publications:

... help add to our country's body of knowledge on a wide range of important issues. (from the Washington Post)

...cultural model played a critical role as it provided the context used to advance knowledge on women's disclosure of HIV seropositive status within the context of motherhood in South... (from the American Journal of Public Health)

... showing how the work is located both within a singular body of knowledge on " art " as a Western category and that the sculptures and paintings also (from the American Indian Quarterly)

*Corpus of Contemporary American English