knowledgeable and competent to carry out

< Previous | Next >

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, I would please ask you if the expression in bold is correct in the following (it is a bullet list):
knowledgeable and competent to carry out risk assessment protocols, (by) employing methods such as X, and developing mitigation strategies as appropriate

• Jimbob_Disco

British English (England)
    Absolutely! The first part is fine. In terms of the inclusion of ‘by’, I naturally would, but it would be perfectly natural, grammatical and understandable to omit it too.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    Absolutely! The first part is fine. In terms of the inclusion of ‘by’, I naturally would, but it would be perfectly natural, grammatical and understandable to omit it too.
    Hi Jimbob_Disco, and thank you for you advice. With regard to the first part, I wonder whether a preposition such as about is needed after knowledgeable, and if competent should be followed by in, as follows:
    knowledgeable about, and competent in, carrying out risk assessment protocols, ...
    Is this other option correct, as well?

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    The OP version suggests "knowledgeable to carry out…", which is not what's meant. On the other hand, it's not entirely clear what IS meant. I'm assuming the following:

• knowledgeable, and competent to carry out risk assessment protocols – by employing methods such as X and developing mitigation strategies as appropriate

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    The OP version suggests "knowledgeable to carry out…", which is not what's meant. On the other hand, it's not entirely clear what IS meant. I'm assuming the following:

• knowledgeable, and competent to carry out risk assessment protocols – by employing methods such as X and developing mitigation strategies as appropriate
    Hi lingobingo, and thank you for your reply. I mean: knowledgeable about risk assessment protocols, and competent in carrying out them, ...

lingobingo

English - England
    Then why not rephrase it like that?

• knowledgeable about risk assessment protocols, and competent to carry them out by employing methods such as X, and developing mitigation strategies as appropriate

Uncle Jack

British English
    The OP's quote looks like it forms part of a job description; I would leave it as it is. Knowledgeable to me in this context is not just about the protocols themselves (which is really nothing more than following a set of instructions), but could include regulatory requirements, and having appropriate background skills and experience to make the necessary judgement calls.

I am a little concerned about the word 'protocols'. You do not usually 'carry out' a protocol, rather it is the methodology you follow. What you carry out, in the UK at least, is 'risk assessments'.

Finally, my vote goes to omitting 'by', but it wouldn't be wrong leaving it in.

< Previous | Next >