knuckledragger

Quantz

French
He came to Africa from the Far East Division,
had an affinity for the military and determination to go with it. A knuckledragger :confused:, in Korea he had run a net to rescue downed fliers. In India he had backstopped the Tibet project. He wet
his teeth in Africa heading the CIA station in Kenya. Not phased by the Special Group’s rejection, the tobacco-chewing, cigar-smoking Bane took advantage of his instructions to keep a close watch on the Ghanaian military.

knuckledragger ???

• Quantz

French
    Unfortunately, it does not fit with context of the phrase here…
    (Some distinguished member on the English forum agrees with me too).

Problem is I found at least two other meanings :
    - a fan of NASCAR championship is a knuckledragger…
    - a membre of the GOP is a knuckledragger…
    Plus the one you pont at, some kind of a redneck, who don't know his *** from a whole in the ground…

None fits really here.

Reason why I'm perplexed

Suehil

Medemod
    British English
    Why not? He did have an affinity for the military...

That is the only meaning I know (and it is fairly common). If that's not it then it may be American, in which case I cannot help.

Nizo

We usually use the word knuckledragger to mean someone who is unrefined, brutish and/or of low intelligence. The literal reference is to a gorilla, which drags its knuckles on the ground when it walks.

This site - http://cobweb.scarymonsters.net/~corleyj/truth/fbiterms.html - says it can be a slang term in the military for someone who does intelligence work. That seems to fit your example well. There's also this quote from a 2004 article in the National review: "'So many people — when they think of Special Forces — think of terms like snake-eater and knuckle-dragger,' Army Brigadier General David L. Grange, a former special-operations commander, tells NRO."

< Previous | Next >