kolizja

dn88

Polish
Hello :)

Would you understand the meaning of this stand-alone sentence? Is it quite clear?

Nie mogę przyjść na to spotkanie: mam kolizję.

• Monica610

Polish
    Well for me it still sounds like a car accident and the Present tense seems to be just a little mistake. Tell me please, what do you exactly want to say?

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    I don't like it, to me it doesn't sound good in Polish. For two reasons, the tense that doesn't fit here and the word kolizja, it sounds a bit unnatural. I'd simply say, miałem wypadek.

Tom

dn88

Polish
    Well for me it still sounds like a car accident and the Present tense seems to be just a little mistake. Tell me please, what do you exactly want to say?

Well, Nie mogę przyjść na to spotkanie: mam kolizję. (e.g. I have another meeting at the same tame, there's a conflict in the dates of the two meetings).

Thanks.

Monica610

Polish
    You're right that it can also mean that... But when I hear "kolizja" I automatically think about a car accident and I can't help it! Maybe you should say "mam kolizję spotkań" ? Anyway it sounds a little odd for me...

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Same here. I'd say then, nakładają mi się spotkania. If you pushed me in a corner and twisted my arm to force me into using something related to kolizja,:p I'd use spotkania mi ze sobą kolidują. The Polish word kolizja has too many car-crash overtones to use it like that by me.

Tom

dn88

Polish
    You're right that it can also mean that... But when I hear "kolizja" I automatically think about a car accident and I can't help it! Maybe you should say "mam kolizję spotkań" ? Anyway it sounds a little odd for me...

Thank you, I have the same problem. Can you possibly think of any other word that conveys the idea better?

dn88

Polish
    Same here. I'd say then, nakładają mi się spotkania. If you pushed me in a corner and twisted my arm to force me into using something related to kolizja,:p I'd use spotkania mi ze sobą kolidują. The Polish word kolizja has too many car-crash overtones to use it like that by me.

Tom

Yes, that's right... The point is that I would be best off with a noun, but I'm starting to doubt if there's a suitable one...

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    I don't think there's somethng palatable in Polish where you could use a noun (as a direct translation of conflict), at least I can't come up with anything, perhaps someone ese can. I'd simply use some verbal translation as it works best to me.
    Well on the other hand:
    Nie mogę przyjść na spotkanie, mam inne/drugie w tym samym czasie.
    but that's a different formulation from the English one.

Tom

dn88

Polish
    I don't think there's somethng palatable in Polish where you could use a noun (as a direct translation of conflict), at least I can't come up with anything, perhaps someone ese can. I'd simply use some verbal translation as it works best to me.
    Well on the other hand:
    Nie mogę przyjść na spotkanie, mam inne/drugie w tym samym czasie.
    but that's a different formulation from the English one.

Tom

Thanks for your help, Tom. :)