Kosher ledgering

Discussion in 'English Only' started by danielxu85, Oct 5, 2015.

1. danielxu85 Senior Member

Qingdao
    Mandarin Chinese
    Dear all,

I know that kosher refers to "legitimate" and "ledger" means bookkeeping, but I am not quite sure if I understood their meanings together in the following sentence:

While we all know that attitudes towards performance in work, or life, are varied, leading to unbalanced responsibilities and job share, we also know that kosher ledgering is not the answer.

Here is where the sentence comes from:
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0907676X.2015.1026361#.VhIF9Y9Viko

The passage talks about the importance of bibliometric research, and specifically how scholars are evaluated these days.

2. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    Is it a Jewish context? (I can't open your link.)

3. danielxu85 Senior Member

Qingdao
    Mandarin Chinese
    I tried the link again—it is a valid one. Sorry that it does not work on your end. I don't think the passage has anything to do with religion. Yes, kosher can mean something Jewish, but I am not sure in this case.

4. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    It probably won't help, but here's my thoughts.

"kosher" can be used casually in American English to mean "up to snuff".

"kosher" can also be used strictly in American English to mean abiding by orthodox rules. For example, there is the "kosher sink".

I digress, but if you see what I mean, it might be complicated, depending on the exact context.

Shalom.

5. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    The link works for me. "Ledgering" means what it can be expected to mean - keeping records. The next sentence makes that clear "Having said this, it is true that some system to record work performance is needed, ..." In this text "kosher" means nothing more than "proper, correct, in a formal manner". The phrase - "kosher ledgering" = "formal bookkeeping".

The writing style seems unusually casual for academic prose. I think the use of "kosher" is inappropriate in the context. The first two sentences are somewhat cliche-ridden:

6. ewie

ewie Senior Member

Elsewhere
    English English
    I'd have to think very hard to figure out what kosher ledgering was supposed to mean, Mr X ... either that or wait for someone else to explain it for me:D The odd thing is that once you know what it means, it's perfectly clear what it means. It's just a very odd combination of words. (ledgering on its own is bad enough.) The sentence as a whole strikes me as somewhat non-sequiturry: 'not the answer' to what exactly?:confused:

7. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    ewie, it's obvious. It's the answer to the question they forgot to ask. I also think the intended meaning of this horrible phrase is apparent with not a lot of thought. After all, it's not an article about fishing (see the dictionary for the normal meaning of "to ledger").

8. Truffula

Truffula Senior Member

English - USA
    The meaning of the entire quoted sentence, now that I've read the context over, seems to be something like:

People's different work habits cause unfair division of labor - some people are harder workers and they end up doing more than their share - but merely keeping accurate counts of who does what will not fix this problem.

9. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    To ledger = to enter into a ledger??? Surely it should be "to enlegerate." :D

10. Truffula

Truffula Senior Member

English - USA
    :)

English really does use nouns as verbs in this manner. If there's a noun that is somewhere something can be stored or written into, it's quite likely that the noun can be used as the verb meaning putting into that thing. Records, shelves, files, boxes, bags, garages, ledgers, journals, houses, diaries, even closets and books - can be turned into verbs this way - and there are probably more examples. But there are exceptions: building, notebook, sheds. Probably quite a few more exceptions, too.

So you can garage your car, journal your feelings, file data, shelve books, bag groceries; talk about a concert hall being booked or a person who's "in the closet" being "closeted" - it's fun, right?