kucyk - etymology

• zaffy

Polish
    It is 'kucyk, hardly anyone says 'kuc' at least here in the south of Poland, although it is a synonym.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Kuc is of course the root word, and the derived form kucyk (it is a diminutive) is much younger. As far as I know there is no known etymology of this word. I once asked the same question at the forum.
    It might be of Asian origin (turkic, uralic or mongolic), as many Polish words related to horses (kary, bułany, bachmat, rumak, etc).

nyorai

Polish, Poland
    It's more likely of Belarusian/Russian origin. In Russian куцый [kucyj] means "with a short or cropped tail", it also means "scanty, meagre", which may relate to the size of the animal. The Polish dictionary of etymology states that the word "kuc" is also related to the word "kusy", which in Polish denotes something that is too small, too short etc. "Kusa sukienka" - a dress that is too short or shows too much ;)

Ben Jamin

Polish
    It's more likely of Belarusian/Russian origin. In Russian куцый [kucyj] means "with a short or cropped tail", it also means "scanty, meagre", which may relate to the size of the animal. The Polish dictionary of etymology states that the word "kuc" is also related to the word "kusy", which in Polish denotes something that is too small, too short etc. "Kusa sukienka" - a dress that is too short or shows too much ;)
    Which dictionary of etymologia are you quoting?

marco_2

Polish
    Well, Brückner also suggests that kuc(yk) is related to the word kusy - in his day kucyk also meant kaftanik (matinee jacket) so something short. And kusy (formerly kęsy) comes from kąsać, so it means that something is short as though it has been bitten off.

nyorai

Polish, Poland
    Which dictionary of etymologia are you quoting?
    The one by Brückner - mind you, only this part is from the dictionary: "the word "kuc" is also related to the word "kusy""; the part of the sentence after the comma is my addition based on how the word "kusy" is used in Polish nowadays.

RomanBoukreev

Russian
    Being a Russian, I think that куцый may work as "kusy" in Polish. In colloquial speech, we may use куцый путь = a small track/road, куцый сад = an almost empty garden. However, I don't think is the style of great literature.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    The te
    Being a Russian, I think that куцый may work as "kusy" in Polish. In colloquial speech, we may use куцый путь = a small track/road, куцый сад = an almost empty garden. However, I don't think is the style of great literature.
    It is of course fully possible that the word came from Byelorussian, but the native Russian etymology is not so certain.

< Previous | Next >