kuwait diwaniya=Oman sabla?

• Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    ^^ Majlis is the proper Arabic, that's why it's used in formal naming in almost all Arab states. Diwaniyyah is Persian, I think; don't know where sablah came from.

Hani_D

Banned
    Arabic
    Majlis is Arabic from : ج ل س = sit
    Diwaniyyah is from Persian "ديوان / divan" = council (in the later sense).

Sablah is a problem. Semitic root س ب ل means straight/spike.

In Arabic, سَبَلَ can mean " سَبَّ =swore at," this is the closest meaning available in Arabic to talking or a majlis. Sablah may be a word of Indian origin.

Taalib

United States
    I am not sure about what the Saudi majlis and Omani sabla traditions are, but their linguistic origins make clear their shared meaning with the Kuwaiti diwaaniyah.

I know that in Kuwait, the diwaaniyah is a men-only weekly or biweekly gathering within a designated area of a family home, where relatives catch up and dinner is often served. It is a wonderful thing to experience as a foreign guest. Which brings me to the point--much formal (that is, MSA) Arabic usage of the Persian "divan" denotes something very formal and usually political: an administrative council, a secretarial office, etc. The Kuwaiti diwaaniyah can be sometimes political but is more of a social gathering and has cultural meaning far outside its linguistic context.

Can the same be said for the Saudi and Omani context? I've never been to either country.

MarcB

US English
    I am not sure about what the Saudi majlis and Omani sabla traditions are, but their linguistic origins make clear their shared meaning with the Kuwaiti diwaaniyah.

I know that in Kuwait, the diwaaniyah is a men-only weekly or biweekly gathering within a designated area of a family home, where relatives catch up and dinner is often served. It is a wonderful thing to experience as a foreign guest. Which brings me to the point--much formal (that is, MSA) Arabic usage of the Persian "divan" denotes something very formal and usually political: an administrative council, a secretarial office, etc. The Kuwaiti diwaaniyah can be sometimes political but is more of a social gathering and has cultural meaning far outside its linguistic context.

Can the same be said for the Saudi and Omani context? I've never been to either country.
    Taalib, see this

< Previous | Next >