kvrdlat kvrdlačkou

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by Colei che..., Aug 5, 2012.

  1. Colei che... Member

    Czech Republic
    Italy Italian
    I got a recept from a czech friend. I can understand czech, but I don't really get what she means here, and I could not find the translation on the net. I suppose that it is referring to a "Kvrdlacka", but what kind of strange instrument is it? :)
  2. panzorzka.uli Member

    Kvrdlačka or Kvedlačka means wooden whisk:
  3. Enquiring Mind

    Enquiring Mind Senior Member

    UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    There's a picture of a kvrdlačka (or kvedlačka - depending on which part of the country you're in) here. In the particular part of eastern Moravia where I am, I'm told by the natives that they say kvedlačka, not kvrdlačka. I have no idea what we'd call this utensil in English, since I don't think we have them. Someone on this page on the Help for English website suggests twirling stick, but I'm not sure that would be understood. There's another picture of a metal utensil described as a kvedlačka here. I would call that a hand whisk. But a Czech native says she would call this metal utensil a šleh (whisk), not a kvedlačka, tož co já vím?

    Apparently, you spin the utensil between the palms of your hands (kvrdlat or kvedlat). If you can tell us what the recipe is for, it might be easier to suggest a verb - maybe twirl (the mixture, batter, etc). I think the idea is usually to make the mixture thicker, but I may be wrong.

    I think panzorzka.uli's suggestion is good.

    (Update: another suggestion: a wood(en) beater, as shown here.)
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  4. Mejsy Member

    This kvrdlačka - 63_full.jpg and this is a way how to use it (...)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  5. Colei che... Member

    Czech Republic
    Italy Italian
    Thank you all for your help!
    I think that "twirling stick" give the idea... it has been explained to me that it is mainly used to mix a powder ingredient with a fluid one. In chemistry it is maybe called "to make a dispersion". :)
    In this very case, my friend uses it to mix quickly semolina in hot broth. :)
  6. stelingo

    stelingo Senior Member

    United Kingdom
    Just thought I would point out, Colei che, that the English word is 'recipe' not recept. (Unless you were intentionally using the Czech word?)

Share This Page