Kyo/Kyowa

TimeHP

Italian - Italy
Hi.
I've always used kyo wa to say 'today' in Japanese sentences but I saw
that sometimes you omit 'wa'.
Could you explain me the different use of the adverb?
Thank you.

• Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    [No macron is available from this terminal. Doubled vowels are used in its place.]

Hello TimeHP,

The Japanese word for "today" is kyoo. It can be used as a noun and as an adverb. In the former use, kyoo can be suffixed with various grammatical particles such as -wa, -ga, -o and -ni. In the latter use, kyoo stands alone in the sentence.

1. kyoo-wa nichiyoobi da. [nominal use]
    Today is Sunday.
    2. kyoo Mearii-ga Amerika-kara kuru. [adverbial use]
    Today Mary comes from America.

For more about particles, you can check Particles section of our resource collection.

Flam

TimeHP

Italian - Italy
    Thank you.
    Now it's clear.
    In Italian and I think in other European languages as well Kyoo is always an adverb.

Ciao

SpiceMan

Castellano, Argentina
    No, yesterday/today/tomorrow are sometimes an adverb an sometimes a noun depending on the sentence structure in western languages too, just like in Japanese.

oggi lavoro a casa. (adverb)
    oggi è sabato. (noun)

TimeHP

Italian - Italy
    In Italian the words ieri, domani, oggi - yesterday, tomorrow, today in English - are adverbs.
    The difference between the two examples you gave, is that in the second sentence the adverb is a subject.

Ciao

JapaneseRookie

urdu
    [No macron is available from this terminal. Doubled vowels are used in its place.]

Hello TimeHP,

The Japanese word for "today" is kyoo. It can be used as a noun and as an adverb. In the former use, kyoo can be suffixed with various grammatical particles such as -wa, -ga, -o and -ni. In the latter use, kyoo stands alone in the sentence.

1. kyoo-wa nichiyoobi da. [nominal use]
    Today is Sunday.
    2. kyoo Mearii-ga Amerika-kara kuru. [adverbial use]
    Today Mary comes from America.

For more about particles, you can check Particles section of our resource collection.

Flam
    Hi, I was wondering you used ga after mearii instead of wa

SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
    2. kyoo Mearii-ga Amerika-kara kuru. [adverbial use] :tick:
    2'. kyoo Mearii-wa Amerika-kara kuru. [adverbial use] :tick:

Both are okay, and they are almost the same. You can choose whichever you like.
    The difference is not important regarding the topic of this thread.

< Previous | Next >