l’une des consciences de cette Amérique que je saluais, il y a quelques jours

Chris25

India English
Bonjour!
[...]
And also, "louant «l’une des consciences de cette Amérique que je saluais, il y a quelques jours»." What does this mean? I have no idea.:confused: Please help me.
Thank you.

Moderator note: This thread was split from another, and given its own title, so that it could be found in future searches.

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    Sounds to me like "one of the conciousnesses of that America that I was saluting (i.e. praising) a few days ago."

EDIT - just read the article and it seems louant would be roughly equivalent to "saying" or "stating." praising, etc.

Chris25

India English
    It's about the demise of the American writer Norman Mailer.
    Le président de la République Nicolas Sarkozy lui a rendu homme, louant «l’une des consciences de cette Amérique que je saluais, il y a quelques jours».
    'Louant' is 'taking on'? 'Consciousness' of the writer?? I didn't understand the meaning of this. Thanks.

cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    By conscience I would imagine he means someone with a conscience, i.e. values, morals and ethics or some other favourable quality that merits his (Nicolas Sarkozy's) admiration.

Chris25

India English
    OK, that makes things clear. :D 'Louant' can also be translated as 'praising'(in this context)?? Though the English translation of the entire sentence would then be difficult.

cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    OK, that makes things clear. :D 'Louant' can also be translated as 'praising'(in this context)?? Though the English translation of the entire sentence would then be difficult.
    Yes, in fact that's in the WR dictionary. It would be more accurate than simply "stating" or "saying" (which in any event made little sense grammatically, now that I look over it again).

Chris25

India English
    Well, you could say' The Prisident Nicolas Sarkozy paid homage to him, stating 'one of the consciousness of that America that I was saluting (i.e. praising) a few days ago."
    Isn't that fine?

< Previous | Next >