l thinks gold dust of you

< Previous | Next >

waiphyo

singapore
Hi friends,
I want to ask you three sentences explanations from 'treasure island'.Please explain to me,I underlined the phrase or clause I can't understand.Please!!!
1# "Mate,"he was saying,"it's because l thinks gold dust of you—gold dust,and you may lay to that! < --- >

< Other questions have their own threads. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, walphyo. :)

Please tell us (in your own words) who is talking and what they are doing. Information like that helps people answer your questions.

(We call this kind of information 'context' and we ask people to provide context with every question.)

waiphyo

singapore

Please tell us (in your own words) who is talking and what they are doing. Information like that helps people answer your questions.

(We call this kind of information 'context' and we ask people to provide context with every question.)

Sorry for my fault.That is from 'treasure island',novel,; John Silver said to his mate; "Mate, it's because I thinks gold dust of you_gold dust,and you may lay to that! < --- > I don't understand the meanings of 'gold dust of you'

< Your second question has its own thread. Please look at the first page of the forum. Cagey, moderator >

lingobingo

English - England
    Mate, it's because I thinks gold dust of you … gold dust, and you may lay to that!

He means: "I think very highly of you (= I really like you), and you may depend on that!"

< Previous | Next >