La casa non ruba

< Previous | Next >

xmas50

USA
Italian - Italy
Can someone help me with this Italian saying?
La casa non ruba / La casa nasconde ma non ruba meaning that if you loose something inside your house, you will find it sooner or later. In my neck of the woods (Bergamo) we say that the lost object "salterà fuori prima o poi" as if this object has a life of its own and will appear out of the blue.
It happened to me: after I came back from grocery shopping, I couldn't find a magazine that I just bought. My sister said: Non preoccuparti, salterà fuori perché la casa non ruba. Three days later I found the magazine in the refrigerator behind the vegetable drawer. So this is my try:

-- Non trovo più la rivista che ho comperato oggi. L'ho cercata dappertutto e sono sicura di averla portata a casa perché era nella borsa della spesa
-- Non preoccuparti, salterà fuori: la casa non ruba

-- I cannot find the magazine I just bought. I looked all over and I'm sure I brought it home. It was in the grocery bag
-- Don't worry, you'll find it sooner or later because La casa non ruba

Grazie mille a tutti

• xmas50

USA
    Italian - Italy
    Thank you HalfTaff, I was curious to see whether there was a corresponding idiomatic expression/adage, but the literal translation sounds perfect.
    Thanks for your help

< Previous | Next >