la creatività (in pubblicità, comunicazione, ecc.)

mrmoto74

Bilingual: Irish English and Italian
Sto traducendo un preventivo per una rivista specializzata di moda. Nei costi è ripetuto un paio di volte la voce creatività e s'intende i costi della parte dell'invenzione delle idee. Si potrebbe dire brainstorming, e ne fanno parte il copy writer, l'art director, il designer. Esiste in inglese una traduzione che ragruppi tutte queste funzioni in una voce?

Art direction?
Concept?

Thanks in advance.

• vale_new

Italian - Italy
    Ciao!

Brainstorming è quelle riunioni che si fanno per pensare un qualcosa, per venire a capo di una questione e vedere come si può impostare il tutto, la creatività in bilancio o consuntivo non saprei, a meno che non spieghi meglio che cosa intendi, l'azione che intendi descrivere.

GavinW

British English
    a meno che non spieghi meglio che cosa intendi, l'azione che intendi descrivere.

Actually, I think mrmoto already made it clear enough. I like "conceptualization" (una "bella parola"?), which, appropriately, suggests a process, rather than the word "concept" tout court, which, perhaps, often suggests an individual idea or invention ("trovata").
    "Brainstorming", of course, as has been mentioned, would only be one part of the process which is being referred to.

mrmoto74

Maybe I should try writing the post in English so that I can get some mother tongue attention. I'm looking for a word, or couple of words, to use as a budget entry in a proposal for sponsorship for an art/fashion publication. In Italian the term used is 'creatività' which is a generic term for all the activities involved at the initial creation/concept stage. The people involved are usually the art director, the copy writer, the editor, the designer. Is there such a generic term in English?

Art direction?
    Concept creation?

Thanks Gavin. Conceptualization gives the idea, but I'm afraid that since both of us live in Italy, we may be letting our Italian side 'leak' into our English side of the brain, so to speak. It would be interesting to hear the comments of a purer English language native.

Last edited by a moderator:

GavinW

British English
    Thanks Gavin. Conceptualization gives the idea, but I'm afraid that since both of us live in Italy, we may be letting our Italian side 'leak' into our English side of the brain, so to speak. It would be interesting to hear the comments of a purer English language native.

I'm offended! :mad:
    I have no Italian side! :p
    I am as pure as Snow White (but I may have drifted) :eek:

mrmoto74

Noun1.conceptualization - inventing or contriving an idea or explanation and formulating it mentally conceptualisation, formulation
    creating by mental acts - the act of creating something by thinking

approach, plan of attack, attack - ideas or actions intended to deal with a problem or situation; "his approach to every problem is to draw up a list of pros and cons"; "an attack on inflation"; "his plan of attack was misguided"

framing - formulation of the plans and important details; "the framing of judicial decrees"

I'm offended! :mad:
    I have no Italian side! :p
    I am as pure as Snow White (but I may have drifted) :eek:

It's a sneaky little language. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

mrmoto74

I've decided to go with Conceptualisation (I favour English spelling!), though I would probably recommend to future readers of this thread 'Concept' or 'Concept and Design'. For the way my budget entries are structured, I prefer Gavin's suggestion.

OT
    I would like to publicly apologise to anyone who I may have offended, or may yet offend, by suggesting that a mother tongue user residing in an English speaking country may have a greater, or more reliable, knowledge of the English language than someone who isn't. The same goes for native, or non-native, speakers. I'm very grateful to all contributors to this forum without whom this forum would not exist.
    EOT

vale_new

Italian - Italy
    Dalla discussione sembra che si potrebbe dire concept design, concept framing, creativity conceptualisation

biatch

English- USA
    Sorry guys, but in Marketing, there is a very specific word to refer to the design/copy write part of the process and that word is "CREATIVE."

So within a Marketing company there is a "CREATIVE DIRECTOR".

vale_new

Italian - Italy
    Sorry guys, but in Marketing, there is a very specific word to refer to the design/copy write part of the process and that word is "CREATIVE."

So within a Marketing company there is a "CREATIVE DIRECTOR".

Sì, ma se lo devi mettere come voce di spesa in bilancio, che dici
    "for the creative job:

Creative TOT
    Brainstorming TOT1
    Creativity TOTn"?:confused:

biatch

English- USA
    Sì, ma se lo devi mettere come voce di spesa in bilancio, che dici
    "for the creative job:

Creative TOT
    Brainstorming TOT1
    Creativity TOTn"?:confused:

You just leave it as: Creative Expenses

Believe me, as absurd as it may sound, that's the word, there is no misunderstanding it, and nobody who is in the Marketing business or has ever had anything to do with the business of Advertising will wonder at it or have trouble realizing what it means.

vale_new

Italian - Italy
    Sì, ma per fare un esempio che si avvicina: in travel expenses c'è: viaggio in treno, viaggio in nave, viaggio in macchina, viaggio in metro, snack sulla nave, smack sul treno, etc. Visto che stiamo parlando di un creativo che fa lavoro creativo e che immagino debba specificare per farsi pagare, è ovvio che il lavoro di concettualizzazione ha un significato, ma anche no, che vuol dire concettualizzazione? Analisi comparativa del brand, brainstorming concettuale, analisi dati statistici, concettualizzazione dei media da utilizzare, concettualizzazione eventi, concettualizzazione marketing, etc,?

biatch

English- USA
    Within a marketing company, like in any other, there are different departments, each responsible for their own expenses and duties.

There is an Accounts department, which finds/follows/takes care of the client. They are the ones who do the analysis of the past campaigns, who do comparative analysis with competitors' campaigns, and so on.

There is a Strategy department (sometimes it's part of accounts sometimes it isn't,) which works out the numbers, figures out who is the potential customer for the product that they are hired to advertise, and comes up with a rough idea of what the campaign should be about. They are the ones who do the statistical analysis (meaning whether the potential customer is a female/male whether he/she reads the newspaper etc.)

There is a Production Department, which can be Above the line or below the line, who is in charge of producing the actual campaign.

Then comes Creative, they are the artists and the "talent" of every advertising company, they can either be "above the line" (billboards, TV ads, radio ads, etc) or below the line (direct marketing.) Their expenses are just listed under Creative, for the simple reason that you do not charge money for a brainstorm, or for a coffee.

In case this post didn't make it clear, I work in the Advertising business.

LEAVE IT AS CREATIVE EXPENSES