La définition est la suivante/comme suit

< Previous | Next >

Pure_Yvesil

1)La définition est la suivante:

2)La définition est comme suit:

How would you guys translate this?
1) the definition is the following one
2) the definition is as follows

To me they're identical though...can anyone confirm?

• Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    Normally I'd say, "The definition is as follows." But your first option is possible. E.g., you're given a word and four possible definitions of it. Then later you're told which is the correct definition. In that case, you could say, "The correct definition is the following one."

But apart from that situation, I think your second option is the more likely one.

misterk

English-American
    For this AE speaker, "the definition is as follows" is much more idiomatic.

If you write "the definition is the following one", it sounds like there are many definitions in the text - preceding this sentence. embedded in this sentence, etc. - but the one we want to focus on is the one that follows.

Pure_Yvesil

Interesting.

However, would you translate BOTH French sentences as "the definition is as follows" ?

This would mean "la suivante:" and "comme suit:" are identical in meaning.

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    Interesting.

However, would you translate BOTH French sentences as "the definition is as follows" ?
    Yes, I would, if you have a word and you simply want to give the definition of it. In that case, I definitely would not say, "The definition is the following one." "The following one" would suggest that there are other definitions, and I don't think that's the situation you have in mind.

< Previous | Next >