la douche supprimée d'office

Mariasko

Estonian
Hello,

While translating the short story "La visite" by Annie Saumont, I've stumbled upon a phrase that I find really hard to understand.
"Le maton ne bronche pas, et non plus lorsque Johnny s’énerve a mentionner la douche supprimée d’office quand les déplacements se font dans le désordre, abus de pouvoir."
It's the part marked in bold that I don't get. For context: the story takes place in a remand center and the speaker uses a lot of prison slang. My very-very raw English version (I'm actually translating this into Estonian so I'm sorry for any mistakes!) at the moment is "The screw doesn't flinch, not even when Johnny works himself up by mentioning the shower rights taken away by the administration while transfers are being made during the disturbance." This is probably horribly wrong because it doesn't make any sense to me but I hope you can help me out a little.

Gratefully,
Maria

Last edited by a moderator:
  • atcheque

français (France)
    Bienvenue Mariasko,
    d'office loc adj (désigné arbitrairement) compulsory adj
    Ce cuisiner dans le civil a été affecté d'office au mess des officiers.
    Quand il y a des problèmes de comportement dans cette prison, les surveillants interdisent, refusent la douche [hors cellule] aux prisonniers.

American English
    Thank you for teaching me a new meaning of the noun "screw" in English!
    I have never heard it used to mean a prison warden before and just confirmed
    that meaning ("informal
    a prisoner's derogatory term for a prison guard or warden").
    I guess I'm not up on prison lingo!

Mariasko

Estonian
    It seems to be quite rare, otherwise you probably would've recognised it, but I just quickly tried to find an equivalent in English. I have no idea how to say that in Estonian, but I'll keep looking. :)