la Liga se le puede venir muy cuesta arriba

< Previous | Next >

ilias05

Dutch-Netherlands
Queridos amigos

Les querría preguntar en qué manera hay que entender 'cuesta arriba' en la siguiente frase de Isco Alarcon (jugador Real Madrid).

"Estamos todavía a mediados de octubre. Hay mucho tiempo todavía para arreglar las cosas y tienen que empezar a partir de ahí a cosechar buenos resultados porque la liga se le puede venir muy cuesta arriba. Así que les mando mucho ánimo."

Se quiere decir que las cosas pueden salir mejor de ahí en adelante? O quiere decir que a partir de ahí las cosas en la liga pueden complicarse como una cuesta arriba?

• cidertree

English - Ireland
    In English it would be an "uphill struggle" - something that is difficult and takes continuing effort over a period of time.

gengo

American English
    "Estamos todavía a mediados de octubre. Hay mucho tiempo todavía para arreglar las cosas y tienen que empezar a partir de ahí a cosechar buenos resultados porque la liga se le puede venir muy cuesta arriba. Así que les mando mucho ánimo."
    In English it would be an "uphill struggle" - something that is difficult and takes continuing effort over a period of time.
    Cidertree, how would you fit that meaning into the context here? I'm not sure it makes sense.

There is still plenty of time to remedy the situation, and they have to start getting better results because the league may ...

I'm not sure if it means that their opponents in the league will be more difficult from this point on, but that's my guess. That is, this team will have to play against other teams that have a good record.

cidertree

English - Ireland
    Cidertree, how would you fit that meaning into the context here? I'm not sure it makes sense.

There is still plenty of time to remedy the situation, and they have to start getting better results because the league may ...

I'm not sure if it means that their opponents in the league will be more difficult from this point on, but that's my guess. That is, this team will have to play against other teams that have a good record.
    It may be that their future opponents will be better or have a better record but this would depend entirely on the form of the team.

When people talk about "the league" they mean their objectives in the league - winning it, finishing in the top 4, avoiding relegation. The team has started badly and needs to start winning points. As more games are played, and results don't improve, achieving their objective will become more and more difficult (forty points from 38 games is a lot easier than forty from your remaining 15).
    Hence:
    There is still plenty of time to remedy the situation, and they have to start getting better results because the league may become an uphill struggle.

Cerros de Úbeda

UK
    Spanish - Spain (Galicia)
    - To be / become something difficult for someone (to do).
    - To become (something) a chore / a nuisance.

- To find (someone) something difficult (to do).
    - To find it difficult to get ahead.
    - To find something a steep learning curve.

¿Quiere decir que las cosas pueden salir mejor de ahí en adelante? ¿O quiere decir que a partir de ahí las cosas en la liga pueden complicarse como una cuesta arriba?
    None of those, in fact. It just implies difficulty, annoyance, or frustration.

According to the DLE;

(*) DLE
    - Cuesta (1)

- hacérsele a alguien cuesta arriba algo
    1. loc. verb. Sentirlo mucho, hacerlo con repugnancia y trabajo grande.

cuesta | Diccionario de la lengua española

la liga se le puede venir muy cuesta arriba.
    This expression is usually said as 'hacérsele a uno cuesta arriba algo', which just means 'to be / become difficult for someone to do something', 'to be / become hard / tough for one (to do something)'.

Another good option;
    - To find it a steep learning curve.

I agree with Cider tree's version, which is well-observed. A variant would be 'an uphill battle';

'the league may / might become an uphill battle for them.'
    'they may find that the league becomes a steep learning curve for them.'

There is some subjectivity implied in this expression, which focuses on how difficult someone finds something (rather than what it may objectively be). This is perhaps more precisely reflected by using ''find' with the expression.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >