la limaille à moto

< Previous | Next >

syrita

English [UK]
Hi all

The narrator in this text is playing on the fact he is studying metal machining/manufacturing at school.

Nous faisons de la limaille à moto dans les virages négociés au pastis et à la bière.

I cannot find an exact translation but it's the idea of 'hot metal' I think? This is what I am asking? Or anyone who is big bike fan out there tell me if there is a specific thing that happens to a motorbike to make iron filings? In its tank? Not sure you could sustain the metaphor?

We make the sparks fly and the metal hot when we negotiate bends on our motorbikes in a haze of pastis and beer.

Or perhaps just

We make the sparks fly when we negotiate bends on our motorbikes. Or just 'the metal hot' to sustain the image. This is set in the late seventies so they are 'heavy metallers' so to speak as well.

Thanks

Syrita

• arundhati

French - France
    Hello,
    It's not common, and I guess only used in bikers slang. Unless there's a typical phrase in English (any Hell's Angel around? ;) ), I'd go with the literal translation.

syrita

English [UK]
    Burning rubber is the only bit of biker slang I know and that loses the wordplay they are metal workers/heavy metallers'

syrita

English [UK]
    So I have found in forums that peopLe find 'iron shavings' in the gas tank of their bikes. It means there is damage somewhere, the engine has been driven too hard (like how you have to be careful with a new car engine). It's not a biker/Hell's Angel slang as such but you could relate it to driving hard around a bend. In the absence of anyone ever having heard of this saying 'limaille à moto' I am going to assume this is what he means? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

S

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >