la Marina de Esmeraldas tiene que saber (Ecuador)

Heredianista

English - USA
Hello,

I have looked up "marina" in several dictionaries but there are many possible translations and I am not sure which is correct. Here is the sentence in question (please see the attached screenshot of the whole page if you want more context):

"Donde me maltrataron fue en la Sierra, pero yo creo que la Marina de Esmeraldas tiene que saber a quién nos entregaron a yo y a Consuelo Benavides."

"The place where I was abused was in the mountains [or Sierra], but I think the ________ must know who Consuelo Benavides and I were delivered to."

The naval forces? The marines? Something or someone else?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Marina de Esmereldas.PNG
    Marina de Esmereldas.PNG
    633.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Quirce

Spanish-Madrid
    Es un Batallón de la Infantería de Marina ecuatoriana (Marines). Do not translate.

jsvillar

Spanish - Spain
    s un Batallón de la Infantería de Marina ecuatoriana (Marines). Do not translate.
    Pero en Esmeraldas parece ser que hay distintas unidades de Marina, no solo la infantería.

Wikipedia says that Esmeraldas is one of the Navy regions. Several units are deployed there including the marines. So it is like in Spain, the marines belong to the Navy.

'Marina' means 'Navy', and since they just say 'Marina de Esmeraldas' you should translate it so. It could be the marines, the submarine division, or any other unit belonging to the Navy, but since they do not specify you should assume it was the 'general' Navy, not the Marines.

Heredianista

English - USA
    Pero en Esmeraldas parece ser que hay distintas unidades de Marina, no solo la infantería.

Wikipedia says that Esmeraldas is one of the Navy regions. Several units are deployed there including the marines. So it is like in Spain, the marines belong to the Navy.

'Marina' means 'Navy', and since they just say 'Marina de Esmeraldas' you should translate it so. It could be the marines, the submarine division, or any other unit belonging to the Navy, but since they do not specify you should assume it was the 'general' Navy, not the Marines.

Thank you, jsvillar. I've translated 30 pages referring to "marines" instead of "naval officers". I have a lot of correcting to do!

I don't know that military ranks in my own country and language, so it is incredibly difficult for me to translate military ranks from other countries.

I really appreciate your assistance.

jsvillar

Spanish - Spain
    As long as you keep 'marine' everywhere it says 'infante de marina' and 'marines' where it says 'infantería de marina'!

Just to clarify, in the US the Naval Infantry (Marines) are independent from the Navy, but in many countries they are just another unit within the Navy. So these people were detained by Navy and Police personnel, and the Navy personnel including at least one marine.

Heredianista

English - USA
    As long as you keep 'marine' everywhere it says 'infante de marina' and 'marines' where it says 'infantería de marina'!

Just to clarify, in the US the Naval Infantry (Marines) are independent from the Navy, but in many countries they are just another unit within the Navy. So these people were detained by Navy and Police personnel, and the Navy personnel including at least one marine.

Bless you.; you're a lifesaver!

Heredianista

English - USA

I have just come across the following paragraph (attached as a screenshot), in which the term "militares" is employed. How do I know if "miltar" means "soldier", "marine", or "naval officer"? Is it acceptable to translate "militares" as "military personnel"?

My attempt at translation:

"At about 7 at night, some 300 military personnel from the Yaguachi, Imbabura barracks [or headquarters] appeared. There were about 4 buses and 3 trucks and some small cars. At that moment, the police was not there. The military personnel had their faces painted black and they were lead by the commander of the barracks [or headquarters]. They immediately began to shoot at the air and throw tear gas bombs. In the crowd of people, they started to detain the leaders."

Thank you so much for your time.

Attachments

• militares p 35.PNG
      militares p 35.PNG
      279.6 KB · Views: 158

jsvillar

Spanish - Spain
    Yes. A 'militar' is any soldier, NCO or officer from the Navy, Army or Air Forces (or Marines in the US), so I guess the translation would be 'military personnel'.

I thought a barrack had nothing to do with the headquarters. A cuartel is just a military facility where soldiers and weapons are stationed, the 'cuartel general' is the headquarters.

Heredianista

English - USA
    Yes. A 'militar' is any soldier, NCO or officer from the Navy, Army or Air Forces (or Marines in the US), so I guess the translation would be 'military personnel'.

I thought a barrack had nothing to do with the headquarters. A cuartel is just a military facility where soldiers and weapons are stationed, the 'cuartel general' is the headquarters.

jsvillar, your knowledge has been invaluable to my work. (Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance to you with any question you may have.) Thank you!