La memoria de los seres perdidos

< Previous | Next >

sunflowerluv

Romanian, Romania
Hi all,

I was wondering what's the English definition for this. It is the title of a book for young people, written by Jordi Sierra i Fabra.

I would translate it as: "The memory of lost souls"

Thanks!

• speedier

Hi sunflowerluv,

That could be OK, and also: "The memory of the lost people"

What is the book about? It could give us a clue as to which is the best way to translate it.

All the best

sunflowerluv

Romanian, Romania
    Hi Speedier,

Thanks for replying to my thread. :)

The book is about the people who disappeared during the revolution in Argentina in 1970s.One of these people is a girl who now lives in Barcelona, and finds out that she is one of those people who were back then declared disappeared. Her "father" is actually one of the "militaros" (yup, soldiers) who were participating in the torturing and killing of these people. Apparently he had killed the girl's mom during this process and he and his family "adopted" the little girl soon after she was born and had to leave the country asap.

Now the girl who's in her twenties found out about her past in Argentina and is trying to figure out if these facts are true.. studying the history of the "desaparecidos"..

I'm still reading the little book. I'll finish it tonight :)

What do you think now?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Gabriela

speedier

Hi sunflowerluv,

Sounds to be an interesting book. Well, "lost souls" usually refers to those from dead people, flitting off to heaven, hell, purgatory, limbo etc, and, as the girl at least is still alive, and she is one of them, then I think that "the lost people" would be more appropriate here.

What do others think?

Edit. Sorry, the souls that go to heaven are not "lost" at all - wasn't thinking straight.

alepre

argentina español
    the memory of lost people

During that time, many people was kidnapped and killed, and their kids were taken in adoption.
    Here, these kids are called "hijos de desaparecidos" (disappeared people's kids).
    Still today there are organizations that helps them to find their biological family.

Sorry for the aditional information, but I think it could help to find the best translation.

Regards.

alepre

argentina español
    I think it depend on the meaning of "seres perdidos".

If it is referring to the killed people; "lost souls" could be ok.
    If it is referring to the kids; "lost people" could be ok, since kids are also lost persons for their biological families.

Best regards.

< Previous | Next >