La pesanteur bourgeoise

swizzle

french
Hi there,
I'm finding it quite trying to translate "la pesanteur bourgeoise". The context is that of a metaphor, referring to a chef from the working class having managed to penetrate the middle class world of cooking in the Medoc region of France. Here's the sentence:
QUe de mieux qu'un Marx (last name of the chef in question) pour revolutioner la pesanteur bourgeoise du Medoc?
My attemps:
Who better than a Marx to revolutionize the bourgeois/middle class lethargy of the Medoc region.
My other concern is with bourgeois vs middle-class. This translation is for a general readership, and whilst I know for a fact that the term bourgeois is also used in English, I do not know how widely it is understood.
Thanks a lot for your help :)

• swizzle

french
    Thanks a lot for your help. ALthough this is closer to the original text, it doesn't seem a very natural translation to me. but this is the meaning I do get off "pesanteur bourgeoise". Any other suggestions? (without being cheeky :)

Nicklondon

UK English+Frenchy French
    lethargy might well be OK but I would need to know why this was the case in the Medoc at the time; in view of the subject matter I'd also keep bourgeois. How about weariness? Again, I'd need to know the whys of this pesanteur.

swizzle

french
    Well, I think pesanteur bourgeoise here, has to do with the Marxiste doctrine. Quoting the Larousse encyclopedia, I understand pesanteur here in this sense: Pesanteur: Inertie inhérente à des groupes importants, à des institutions : Les pesanteurs sociologiques.
    I think the idea here, is of a stuck up tradition (to use a much more colloquial language) linked to the middle-class status of the cooking world in this region of France.
    What are your thoughts on it Nicklondon?

< Previous | Next >