La piscine est en libre accès toute la journée.

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by surftansy321, Dec 11, 2009.

1. surftansy321 Member

Carcassonne
    French & English
    Bonjour,
    I'm not sure how to translate "en libre accès" in this context :
    La piscine est en libre accès toute la journée.
    My translation does not sound correct....The swimming pool is free of access during the day. Can anyone hel me?

2. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Canberra, Australia
    English - Australia
    The swimming pool may be freely accessed during the day.

3. massromantic

massromantic Senior Member

Washington, DC
    US English
    Je dirais: "The pool is open to the public all day."

"Free of access" ça se dit pas. Vous pouvez dire "There is free access to the pool all day" mais ici "free" veut dire "gratuit"!

4. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Canberra, Australia
    English - Australia
    Or, in a perhaps slightly more appropriate register: "... throughout the day".

5. surftansy321 Member

Carcassonne
    French & English
    I will use "The swimming pool may be freely accessed throughout the day" because it is not really open to the public because it is restricted to clients. many thanks to cropje & massromantic!

6. prinjon Senior Member

Near Paris
    French from Paris area
    open to all for the day

7. sarie Senior Member

New York
    English - USA
    I would go with massromantic's "open to the public all day." Freely accessed, to me, gives a connotation of the admission price being free.

8. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    The swimming pool is open all day (and admission is free?)

9. Quaeitur

Quaeitur Mod'elle

Lille, France
    French
    This means that exceptionnaly, today, the pool is open to all. On reagular days, only selected members may have access to it.

10. Kelimutu

Kelimutu Senior Member

Dieulefit, Drôme
    English GB
    Today admission is free to the swimming pool all day long.

11. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    One can see signs that say, "de libre accès et gratuit", "available to all (and) free of charge" to indicate both these things. "entrée gratuite" means "free" (i.e., no payment required). So, IMO, "open to all free of charge/open to all, no entry fee required" seems to cover the two aspects of accessibility and fee, and "La piscine est en libre accès" means anyone can use it, there are no entry restrictions/requirements, and at the end, "...all day long/...throughout the day [i.e., during opening hours]".

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014