La question n'est plus de savoir si... / réussir son entrée

Hi,
I have a quite difficult sentence to translate and I have almost no idea how to translate it... Can someone help me?!...
In French, the sentence is:
"La question n'est donc désormais plus de savoir si les Etats-Unis ont réussi leur entrée en guerre, mais s'ils vont réussir leur sortie."
I tried something, but... :eek: :( :eek:
"The question henceforth is not anymore knowing if the United States have made success in getting in the war, but if they will make success in getting out."
Does it make sense??... I am not sure...

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    My try:

"The question henceforth is no longer to know if the United States have made a success of getting into the war, but if they will make a success of getting out."

jessica78

English USA
    désormais: going forward OR from this point on OR henceforth (henceforth is very formal sounding, like a legal contract)

The question going forward is no longer whether the United States was successful in their entry into war, but whether they will succeed in their exit.

Moon Palace

French
    The question going forward is no longer whether the United States was successful in their entry into war, but whether they will succeed in their exit.
    Forgive the simplicity of my question, Jessica, but could you really mix the USA was and then their entry / they will? (I would have used a singular throughout the sentence, but I might be mistaken). :)

jessica78

English USA
    Forgive the simplicity of my question, Jessica, but could you really mix the USA was and then their entry / they will? (I would have used a singular throughout the sentence, but I might be mistaken). :)
    Moon Palace- your point is valid. The United States, as a country, is singular... You may be correct, technically speaking, but to an American it sounds very natural to say it the way I translated it. Because we are talking about the exit strategy of the US military/people, it seems okay to refer to "their exit". Hope this is not too confusing!

< Previous | Next >