la reception de...

leonestdebil

Fr & NL
bonjour foreros!
est-ce que vous connaissez une expression anglaise pour parler de quelque chose comme de la "reception" d'une oeuvre d'art, d'un nouveau gadget, d'une mesure politique, ...? (pour qualifier son "succes"/la reaction du public ...)
L.

• Gil

Français, Canada
    to give a warm welcome, a mixed reception, a hostile reception, a cool reception, a standing ovation...

leonestdebil

Fr & NL
    i'm actually looking for an english way of saying la réception deXX/la réaction du public face a XX...

but yeah, could i say reactions on/about XX or is there something more idiomatic?
    L.

Jean-Michel Carrère

French from France
    As Gil already said, why not use 'reception' or 'welcome' ?

Alternatively, you could turn your sentence around and use verbs (receive / welcome) or phrases (give or be given a ... reception / give or be given a ... welcome)

For books, films, etc, if the public's or the critics' response was enthusiastic, you could use 'acclaim' (the book has won / has received great public acclaim or great critical acclaim).

For political measures, you can use verbs like 'hail / greet' (meaning 'receive favourably', give a favourable reception to).

Gil

Français, Canada
    C'est sous un tonnerre d'applaudissements que X s'est avancé, rose à la boutonnière...
    C'est sous les huées copieuses d'une foule menaçante, que le pédophile notoire X,...

Give us a description of X, and we will greet him the way he deserves...

leonestdebil

Fr & NL
    wow, that's great, a lot of vocab...! my XX is a bit too long to explain here (basically a pun -on a theatre play and a reform act...- that i needed to make a poster for a theatre ...), but thanks a lot to you both. i'll stick to reception as it seems to be the more general term here.

i don't understand though, my second post on this thread was meant to be a reply on a post that seems to have disappeared. (somebody answering my question in french and giving me another french equivalent of "la réception de" ... oh well!)
    L.

sophievm

France - français
    leonestdebil said:
    i don't understand though, my second post on this thread was meant to be a reply on a post that seems to have disappeared. (somebody answering my question in french and giving me another french equivalent of "la réception de" ... oh well!)
    L.
    I deleted it because the answer was not suitable to the question.

< Previous | Next >