label the diagram

grantja

English-USA
In giving directions for a class to label an image (such as of the body or an organ)... what verb is used? (to label)

• yuechu

Canada, English
    I've come across someone using "intituler" for labelling a diagram (but it was written by a non-native speaker). Would this be correct? (or is étiqueter or libeller better?)
    Merci d'avance !

Last edited:

Ikwik64

British English, originally Australian
    "Legend" in English, and I think "légende" in French, usually means a title or description placed above or below the diagram.
    For labels within the diagram, perhaps "mettre/ajouter des étiquettes" ?

yuechu

Canada, English
    I think I might go with "étiqueter".

re: intituler
    It only works if it's a title, not if it's pointing to something in a diagram, right?

Merci, lkwik64 et SwissPete !

jekoh

Fr - Fr
    Légender works for labels within a diagram.

To my knowledge, this kind of labels are never referred to as étiquettes.

Ikwik64

British English, originally Australian
    To my knowledge, this kind of labels are never referred to as étiquettes.
    I found quite a few examples with étiquette but they were mostly for computer-generated statistical diagrams, like pie charts, so perhaps it just computer jargon.

If étiquette is wrong, what would you say about étiqueter, as suggested by yuechu ?

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    In the context of the OP, I'd say, Nommez les organes/parties du corps indiquées sur le diagramme.

In yuechu's context, I can't find a natural way to put it. :( At any rate, étiquette and étiquetter are odd, and intituler would indeed work only for the title of the diagram or chart. As to légender, it is not a very common verb and it refers to the general description of the diagram or image.

for labelling a diagram
    Could you please clarify the type of diagram you have in mind and which parts of the diagram are to be labelled? Could you please give us an example?

Last edited:

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    I'm not the OP that launched this question in 2012, but it strikes me that the expression label the diagram is pretty clear to any native English-speaker in its intended meaning, so it's surprising that French-speakers are grappling to find an equivalent.

Here's a handout typical of such an exercise in an English-speaking classroom:

s455977404143805069_p23_i5_w640.jpeg

jekoh

Fr - Fr
    As to légender, it is not a very common verb and it refers to the general description of the diagram or image.
    No, it does not refer to the general description, you can find many examples on search engines where Légender is used with a picture exactly like the one in wildan's #12 :

schéma d’un oeil à légender 1ère S | Vive les SVT ! Les sciences de la vie et de la Terre au collège et au lycée - Cours de SVT en ligne -
    Schéma à légender n°3 - l'articulation

Last edited:

jekoh

Fr - Fr
    Last edited: