English base labor room

Dictionary entry: labor room

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
English - USA
The EN-FR Dictionary says:
labor room (US),
delivery room (UK)
n
(where babies are born)salle d'accouchement nf
He was asked to wait outside the labor room
while his wife was giving birth

I can't speak for the UK usage, but in the North America the labor room and the delivery room are two distinct places. A woman spends a good amount of time in the labor room (depending on the length of the labor), and is then usually taken to the delivery room for the actual birth.

The granddicationnaire.com makes this distinction:
salle de travail - salle d'accouchement
Grand dictionnaire terminologique - Grand dictionnaire terminologique

The sample sentence therefore is confusing; for our usage it should be ...asked to wait outside the delivery room while his wife was giving birth.

Is this a purely North American phenomenon, that hospitals here all have two distinct areas for the childbirth process?

• DrD

Dictionary Editor
    England English
    Hi Wildan1,

Well, a Google search suggests to me that in fact 'labor and delivery room' is pretty standard these days in the US. For now, I've changed the US term to that, but I'm going to tag @Lexicografur into this thread, just in case she has anything pertinent to add. Not being familiar with US health facilities, I feel somewhat underqualified here, and I think it's possible we should have entries for 'labor room', 'delivery room', and 'labor and delivery room' for AE.

I've also changed the sentence, because it's not the 1950s.

Changes will go to translation teams so they can make any necessary changes to the translations. Once that's been done, they will appear in the dictionaries when they are next updated.