laboratory [for blood test?]

arian20

Persian
Hello,

I was wondering if I can use "laboratory" for the place that people need to go for blood test?
I mean the place that some doctors take your blood using a syringe then run some tests and identify the problems/disease one might have.

thank you

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    In AE, we often refer to these as "lab tests," but we don't actually go to the laboratory for them. We normally do to a clinic or a doctor's office. The actual work of analyzing the blood takes place in the lab, but the patient never sees that place.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I was wondering if I can use "laboratory" for the place that people need to go for blood test?
    I mean the place that some doctors take your blood using a syringe then run some tests and identify the problems/disease one might have.
    In the UK you can now get the blood samples taken at local pharmacies as well as doctors' surgeries and hospitals. :)

As Florentia says, the samples are then sent to a pathology laboratory for analysis and the results are sent back to you, normally in a few days.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Here, a blood sample for testing is usually taken (by a physician, nurse, or medical technician) at a hospital or a physician's office. But a physician does sometimes ask us to go directly to the testing laboratory to have the sample taken.

london calling

UK English
    In Italy we go directly to a laboratory (be it a private lab or a hospital lab) to get blood samples taken (unless we're bed- or house-bound). Generally speaking our family doctors don't take samples in their surgeries.

What happens in Iran, arian? Do you go to your doctor's surgery or directly to a lab?

arian20

Persian
    What happens in Iran, arian? Do you go to your doctor's surgery or directly to a lab?

What happens here is same as in Italy. We normally go to a lab unless we are not able to move. In that case a physician, nurse, or medical technician comes to the patient to take the blood sample. :)

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    I call the place where I go to have blood taken a 'lab'. It is staffed by phlebotomists.
    No other work is done there.

But reading some of the above comments, I now realize that it is not a lab. :)
    What should I call it? It is not a doctor's office, nor a hospital, nor a clinic. :confused:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Why do you think it's not a lab? The lab work may be done behind the scenes, while all you see is a waiting room and some cubicles where a technician takes the blood sample. That's the case at the lab I've occasionally been directed to.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    No work done at my 'lab' except the taking of blood by technicians.

I guess calling it a lab is OK after all.

london calling

UK English
    I call the place where I go to have blood taken a 'lab'. It is staffed by phlebotomists.
    No other work is done there.

But reading some of the above comments, I now realize that it is not a lab. :)
    What should I call it? It is not a doctor's office, nor a hospital, nor a clinic. :confused:
    Why not? That's what we call a lab over here in Italy.:)