L'accueil et la réception d'une réalité

S.M.

French. France.
Hi everybody,

I'm currently translating the abstract of a conference that will take place in a university, as the audience will be partly American they want to have translated into English, and I meet the following sentence, part of which has already been dealt with in a previous thread:

La valorisation spirituelle et théologique de ce qui précède est évidente.
Elle tourne autour de l’accueil et de la réception d’une réalité qui est « envisagée » (dans une sorte de face à face) mais qui également entre en résonance au plus intime de celui qui la contemple.

(It's about how scientific knowledge can pave the way for spirituality.)

My question now is about l'accueil et la réception. When I first read it, to be honest I thought : "Damn this awfull author and his continual bombastic pleonasms!" As I was aware that both accueil and réception were "reception" in English I knew I was going to have hard times.
Then I wondered if accueil was not meant as a first step (the idea is at the door, so to speak), and reception as a second one (the idea enters the mind). Well, for what it is worth, for I'm not sure. Anyway my ackward attempt at using two words was:

It's about the greeting and reception of a reality.

Harrythelm told me in the previous post that "greeting reality" sounded odd, and I trust him. He suggested I just would use a single word ("to apprehend", as it is). So would you agree that any attempt here to find two distinct words is useless? Or de you have other ideas? Thanks a lot.

• OutsinceMons

English GB
    Hi,

If it helps, 'reception' is often 'acceptance' (as in the accepting of goods delivered and signing for them as OK). I'm not so sure about 'accueil' in this context but 'discovery' or 'awareness' might work, rather than 'welcoming', eg, the discovery and acceptance of some reality ...'

Any use?

S.M.

French. France.
    Thanks a lot, it helps much.

As regarding acceptance, would you say it can be used figuratlively? If yes it will do splendidly!

Accueil: I wouldn't identify it with dicovery, accueillir is "to receive", not merely "to discover", and it is not "to be aware" either, at least it seems to me. Or maybe it would work if I inverted the terms? That is:

"The acceptance and the awareness of some reality"

Or why not: "the reception and awareness"? "the reception and acceptance"?

Last edited:

Boyar

Russian
    What about encountering and embracing some reality ?

On trouve ces deux mots (encountering and embracing) très souvent dans des contextes similaires.

OutsinceMons

English GB
    Hi,

Sounds good to me, Boyar. I was going to suggest 'the arrival and acceptance of some 'foreseen' reality ...' but I like your suggestion, especially in a religious context.

catay

Canada anglais

On trouve ces deux mots (encountering and embracing) très souvent dans des contextes similaires.
    :thumbsup: I thought of "... about how we meet and embrace reality," but I prefer the use of the word "encounter", very nicely put.:)

S.M.

French. France.

Thanks! It helps much.

Hi,

Sounds good to me, Boyar. I was going to suggest 'the arrival and acceptance of some 'foreseen' reality ...' but I like your suggestion, especially in a religious context.
    Sounds good to me too, it accounts with accuracy for the French text, and indeed is perfect in a religious context. I think I will choose your solution, Boyar.

< Previous | Next >