l'action de l'opinion y pourvoit

pyroclastic_54

UK
English - UK
Hi all,

I don't understand the clause in brackets - please help! It's summarising the difficulty of implementing and enforcing smoking bans.

"Pour être difficiles à mettre effectivement en oeuvre (l'action de l'opinion y pourvoit souvent sur les lieux publics) et moins prioritaires pour la police que la lutte contre les trafiquants de drogue, des contrôles plus réguliers seraient utiles..."

"Because of the difficulty of implementing [the regulations] effectively (???the effect of opinion often provides for this in public places???) and because they constitute less of a priority for police than drug trafficking, more regular inspections would be worthwhile..."

Thanks,
P

• Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    Hi,

I have a different understanding :

even though they are difficult to implement (in public places, the way other people look at you is often more powerful than any inspection), and less.....

pyroclastic_54

UK
    English - UK
    Merci les deux.

Doors anybody else agree with Michelvar's interpretation?

Do the public make inspections difficult because a) they interfere/get in the way somehow b) they prevent people smoking anyway rendering them ineffectual or... (And this is the most likely in my view) c) there is ambiguity in the text ?!

Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    No, you don't get it, because the text is badly written. The structure is like this :

1:[even though inspections are difficult] (but that's not a problem in public places, the other people do the inspection instead of inspectors) and 2:[smoking inspections are no priority action for police], more frequent inspections would be useful.

So the sentence inside the brackets could be somewhere else :

1: I know it's difficult, and 2: I know it's no priority, nevertheless there must be more inspections. Even though, in public places, police action is not really necessary, non smokers do enforce the low by themselves.

< Previous | Next >