Lady D

Alxmrphi

UK English
I've just been watching the opening headlines of RAI news and a picture of Princess Diana came up, and the newsreader said "Lady D"... which made me laugh, is this how you refer to Diana?

• Manuel_M

Maltese
    I've just been watching the opening headlines of RAI news and a picture of Princess Diana came up, and the newsreader said "Lady D"... which made me laugh, is this how you refer to Diana?

Alex, I think its' simply a case of different pronunciations of the syallable "di". The British pronounce it like "die" - short for Diana, while the Italians pronounce it dee - short for Dee-ana (which is Diana is pronounced in Italian)

luke_77

Italy - Italian
    Alex, I think its' simply a case of different pronunciations of the syallable "di". The British pronounce it like "die" - short for Diana, while the italinas pronounce it dee - short dor Dee-ana (which is Diana is pronounced in Italian)

Yes, but anyhow lady D is the nick given to princess Diana, don't ask me why.. :confused:

Luke

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Manual.. I'm not talking about the pronunciation.
    It's just calling her "Lady D"... seems so.... I don't know, why?
    What's wrong with "Principessa Diana",

It's probaby like us Brits calling Romano Prodi... "Mr P".. I was hoping I'd have misheard it.

luke_77

Italy - Italian

It's probaby like us Brits calling Romano Prodi... "Mr P".. I was hoping I'd have misheard it.

Really?!? You call him Mr. P?!? eheh :D

Manuel_M

Maltese

Sorry, Alex. I misunderstood. Yes, "Lady Di" stuck. I believe that is the case in some other countries, too.

[ITA]Shank

Italiano
    ahhahhahaha Mr. P. :D it's funny, I didn't know that.
    We also call him "er mortadella" in an ironic way. :D

"er" in the dialect of Rome means "il", and mortadella is a special ham of Bologna. We call him like this cause he is native of Bologna. :D

luke_77

Italy - Italian
    [ITA]Shank;1406176 said:
    ahhahhahaha Mr. P. :D it's funny, I didn't know that.
    We also call him "er mortadella" in an ironic way. :D

"er" in the dialect of Rome means "il", and mortadella is a special ham of Bologna. We call him like this cause he is native of Bologna. :D

Non so come la vedi tu, ma mortadella gli si addice proooprio bene!! :D

Brakko J

Italiano
    Non andate OT, dai.

Yes Alex, italian media often call princess Diana simply "Lady D". I don't like it really much, I find it limiting. But don't get it wrong, you know, media have strange habits ;)