Lady Muck

< Previous | Next >

moncrieff

English (England)
Ciao a tutti / Hi everyone

I'm having some trouble translating the following phrase into Italian, specifically the expression 'lady muck':

"Oo, I really love doing this," she says. "I mean, look at me, riding about like Lady Muck."

This line is from the novel Mother Tongue by Ian McEwan. As far as I can tell, this scene involves someone visiting an old lady in a nursing home and taking her out for the day. The lady, Rose, is delighted to be taken for a drive, hence why she talks about 'riding around like Lady Muck'.

I think the language needs to be really idiomatic here - the woman speaking isn't very posh. In fact, I believe that the whole idea of 'lady muck' is of someone from a lower-class background getting to behave like someone grand.

Here's my attempt at a translation:

"Ah, quanto mi piace andare in giro." dice "ma guarda che figura che faccio, io che vado in macchina come una duchessa"

I'm not really convinced by it - any help appreciated!
Grazie!

• The Oxford Dictionary suggests for "She thinks she's Lady Muck" "Si crede di essere chissà chi."
    I remember my mother using the expression "Lady Muck", and following up with "She thinks she's peas above sticks".
    It is usually a pejorative term but here of course it is directed at herself, so "come una duchessa" gets over the idea to me.
    Wait for natives to come up with more suggestions.

Last edited:

ohbice

"Oo, I really love doing this," she says. "I mean, look at me, riding about like Lady Muck".
    "Ah, quanto mi piace andare in giro." dice "ma guarda che figura che faccio, io che vado in macchina come una duchessa"
    Oh, come mi piace!, dice. Voglio dire, guardatemi, portata in giro come una Signora.
    Mio tentativo, ciao.

< Previous | Next >