lag/flag

Vladislav

Russian,Spanish
Hello. I was serching Thefreedictionary for the word "lag". And the third meaning says:

3. To fail, weaken, or slacken gradually; flag
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lag

My questions is: is it the same "to lag" and "to flag" in this particular meaning?

Their interest is flagging = their interest is lagging ?

Is it more o less commonly used like this?

• vachecow

USA English
    Flagging can be used like this, but it is rare. When you say "something is flagging" many people will think that they are trying to signal someone with a flag.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    That doesn't sound like a mainstream definition. Here are my immediate thoughts on these words.
    Lag - to fall behind something else.
    Flag - to become tired.
    Can you tell us where you would like to use this word?

Edit: Oops - don't our AE friends use "flagging" to mean something like "becoming tired, losing energy"?

Vladislav

Russian,Spanish
    2. to decrease
    I guess you refer to "lag". The first thing that comes to mind is "to fall behind something else". But can it be used like this? (Our interest is lagging=decreasing?)

Panjandrum, I'm going just to learn it al least. I've heard it somewhere (can't remember) and it attracted my attention.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Flag - to become dull, uninteresting, to become tired:
    When this topic flagged, he turned to the grey-headed gentleman, and asked if he could sing.
    The dogs began to flag; but we had to press them.

This use of flag comes from a combination of flags flapping listlessly, and flaccid, hanging loose.

Vladislav

Russian,Spanish
    This use of flag comes from a combination of flags flapping listlessly, and flaccid, hanging loose.
    Thank you very much. This last comment is very helpful indeed!

Is it the same in the US? (I'm referring to "flag")

What about "lag"?

< Previous | Next >