lair of the beast

< Previous | Next >

seeeker

Could anyone please help me understand the meaning of the phrase "lair of the beast" in the following sentence (not available online):

Sometimes Alucard will run into an almost impenetrable barricade, only to earn a new power-up or equipment that then sends him on his merry way deeper into the lair of the beast.

The sentence is from the description of the game "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night". Here is a description of the game from a different source:

"Symphony of the Night uses 2-dimensional side-scrolling gameplay. The objective is exploring Dracula's castle to defeat an entity who is controlling Richter Belmont, the self-proclaimed lord of the castle and hero of the events which took place in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    This is probably some quest in which the character literally goes into the lair of the beast... deeper and deeper,i.e. such lairs are usually big enough so that the game can last :)

much_rice

English - American
    "Lair of the beast" is a set phrase, which can be used metaphorically. If I'm an anti-capitalist planning to visit Wall Street, I might say, "I'm heading into the lair of the beast." The "beast" would be the stock market and all the people who make their living on it, and the "lair" would be the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange or Wall Street itself.

Here, the "lair" is the castle and the "beast" is either Dracula or "the entity" controlling Belmont.

< Previous | Next >