Lajes das Flores

pacadansc

English
Hi,

Can anyone help me with the Portuguese pronunciation and stress of Lajès das Flores?
I've been to a couple of web sites describing pronunciation of Portuguese and come up with : LAjes das FLOres -- the "j" sounding like the "j" in french, and pronouncing the "s" in all words -- with the stress on the first syllable of the words. Is that correct?

Also, is it correct to have the accent in Lajès? I've seen it written both ways (in the same article!)

Many thanks.

• almufadado

Português de Portugal
    Está a referir-se à freguesia Lajes das Flores na Ilha das flores no Arquipélago dos Açores?

On lit "Lajes" comme "sages" où "rages".

We say the "a" from "la" like in "part" and the "jes" like in "beiges" (color) "

Last edited:

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I've been to a couple of web sites describing pronunciation of Portuguese and come up with : LAjes das FLOres -- the "j" sounding like the "j" in french, and pronouncing the "s" in all words -- with the stress on the first syllable of the words. Is that correct?
    The first "s" is pronounced like the "j". The two others are pronounced as "sh". This is so in most of Portugal, including the Azores. You've got the stress right. The "e" is a bit tricky to get right, but don't stress over it. Take a look at Vanda's link, as well.

pacadansc

English
    Está a referir-se à freguesia Lajes das Flores na Ilha das flores no Arquipélago dos Açores?
    Isso sim. The article is a travel log of a french sailboat visiting the Açores:
    « Bem vindo ao concelho mais ocidental da Europa.» Ce souhait de bienvenue affiché sur le port de Lajès das Flores n’est pas une simple formule de politesse : c’est un art de vivre.
    [trans.: This welcome posted at the port of Lajes das Flores is not a simple polite phrase : it is a way of life.]
    All of your comments are helpful and interesting, as well as the link. Portuguese is a fascinating language. Pronunciation is challenging!

Many thanks to all.

< Previous | Next >