l'Amérique des années 60

grandemath

French-France
Bonjour,
Je cherche à dire ceci en anglais: "ces objets sont typiques de l'Amérique des années 60"
Mon essai: "these items are typical of the 60s in America".
Mais cela ne me convient pas car il n'y a plus l'idée d'une seule entité qui serait "l'Amérique des années 60"
Merci pour votre aide!

• Oddmania

French
    I don't think the french phrase specifically mentions textbooks. So I think "These items were popular in America during the 1960's" would suit it better.
    I actually meant textbook as an adjective (= typical), as in It's a textbook case for instance, but I guess it's not that common if it didn't fall into place naturally.

misterk

English-American
    Oddmania: the word "textbook", in the idiomatic way you are using it, is most often heard in the expression "textbook example". So, for example: These are textbook examples of the kind of objects one would find in America in the 1960s.

grandemath: It's hard to render your sentence into English, because it does not sound right in English to say that "objects are typical of America." Some possibilities:
    ...objects are typical of what one would find in America in the 1960s
    ...objects were common in America in the 1960s

pointvirgule

langue française
    On trouve suffisamment d'occurrences de the American sixties pour considérer cette possibilité comme valable, je pense.

< Previous | Next >