LanÇar torpedos

< Previous | Next >
Hi everyone,

This is my first visit to the Portuguese forum. I am hoping someone can help me with a translation please.

I recently bought two old brass plaques on an internet auction site. I have a rough idea of the meaning of the words on them, but would like to be 100% sure before I fix one of them on my bathroom wall. :D

ESTE PUNHO DEVER SE RETIRADO QUANDO SE FOR LANCER TORPEDOS.

I believe it means something like 'THIS LEVER SHOULD BE PULLED BACK WHEN FIRING TORPEDOS'.

Many thanks for your help.

La Reine Victoria

• Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
    Português/ Brasil
    la reine victoria said:
    Hi everyone,

This is my first visit to the Portuguese forum. I am hoping someone can help me with a translation please.

I recently bought two old brass plaques on an internet auction site. I have a rough idea of the meaning of the words on them, but would like to be 100% sure before I fix one of them on my bathroom wall. :D

ESTE PUNHO DEVER SE RETIRADO QUANDO SE FOR LANÇAR TORPEDOS.

I believe it means something like 'THIS LEVER SHOULD BE PULLED BACK WHEN FIRING TORPEDOS'.
    Many thanks for your help.

La Reine Victoria
    NIce having you around. Welcome!
    You are 100% right! I simply can't figure it out where this lever is located in a plaque. :confused: :D Or , maybe this is just the sentence, right? lol.

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Hello, your majesty, welcome to our humble section of the forum. :D

The correct spelling should be:

ESTE PUNHO DEVE SER RETIRADO QUANDO SE FOR LANÇAR TORPEDOS

Your translation seems right to me. I'm just not sure about the word "lever". Could "handle" make more sense? Also, "retirado" would normally mean "removed".

Outsider said:
    Hello, your majesty, welcome to our humble section of the forum. :D

The correct spelling should be:

ESTE PUNHO DEVE SER RETIRADO QUANDO SE FOR LANÇAR TORPEDOS

Your translation seems right to me. I'm just not sure about the word "lever". Could "handle" make more sense? Also, "retirado" would normally mean "removed".
    Thank you VANDA for your reply and warm welcome. Maybe the word 'plaques' was misleading, for which I apologise. I should have said 'Information Notices.' I believe they have come from a warship or submarine which had torpedo firing capabilities. They are flat brass plates with a fixing screw at each of the four corners and, I imagine, were fixed above the torpedo launching area as a reminder to the oerators.

OUTSIDER. Thank you, too, for your warm welcome. With the information you have given me I can now translate this as -

THIS HANDLE MUST BE REMOVED BEFORE LAUNCHING TORPEDOS.

Hope you can see why I want to put one of these notices in my bathroom. Lavatorial humour to amuse my guests. :D

Thank you so much for your kind help and warm welcome. It is much appreciated by

La Reine V.

< Previous | Next >