landscapes

Huda

arabic-Egypt
Please help me.
Would anyone please help translate "landscapes" in the following context. This text is excerpted from Digital Sociology which is edited by Kate Orton-Johnson and Nick Prior:
We believe that this remains a valid and vital goal in seeking to explicate new concepts and navigate new challenges to existing sociology tenets. However, the task of critique is not obsolete, and the chapters in the collection act as a bridge between the descriptive needs and critical questions that are vital for sociologists attempting to understand the landscapes of the discipline.
Thanks in advance.

• jack_1313

English - Australian
    "Discipline" here means a field of study (namely sociology), so I don't think سلوك, which to the best of my knowledge only means "discipline" in the sense of behavior or conduct, could work.

As for "landscapes", its a very vague metaphor and I can't pin down exactly what it means. I think it's probably a reference to the general situation or "scene" within the various areas of sociology.

The traditional translation of "landscape" when used in this metaphorical way is مشهد, e.g. المشهد السياسي. But I'm not sure that it's idiomatic or makes sense to use the plural (مشاهد) here because of the word's base meaning of "scene" or "spectacle".

What about لفهم تضاريس هذا المجال العلمي?

Huda

arabic-Egypt
    "Discipline" here means a field of study (namely sociology), so I don't think سلوك, which to the best of my knowledge only means "discipline" in the sense of behavior or conduct, could work.

As for "landscapes", its a very vague metaphor and I can't pin down exactly what it means. I think it's probably a reference to the general situation or "scene" within the various areas of sociology.

The traditional translation of "landscape" when used in this metaphorical way is مشهد, e.g. المشهد السياسي. But I'm not sure that it's idiomatic or makes sense to use the plural (مشاهد) here because of the word's base meaning of "scene" or "spectacle".

What about لفهم تضاريس هذا المجال العلمي?
    Thanks a lot. Why do you translate discipline as مجال علمي? Could you please tell me your source? I thought that it is translated as فرع معرفي

jack_1313

English - Australian
    Wikipedia has "academic discipline", "academic field", "field of study", "field of inquiry", "research field" and "branch of knowledge" all as synonyms on the page for "discipline". The corresponding Arabic page uses التخصص الأكاديمي and المجال العلمي as the key terms and then explains the concept as a فرع من المعرفة. The various English dictionaries also generally define "discipline" in this sense using terms like "field of study", "specific field, academic", "academic field of study" and so on. In other words, these terms all essentially refer to the same concept, so I think the one that someone comes up with is mainly just a matter of preference (I have no objection to فرع معرفي if you prefer it).

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I think تضاريس is almost exclusively used for geography. I agree it's hard to translate landscape in this context, but maybe المشهد suggested but not liked by Jack can work: المشهد العام.
    As for descipline, I've seen several translations, and I don't think one of them is more or less correct than the others. Here, descipline refers to sociolgy, so you can even translate it as هذا العلم.

Huda

arabic-Egypt
    I think تضاريس is almost exclusively used for geography. I agree it's hard to translate landscape in this context, but maybe المشهد suggested but not liked by Jack can work: المشهد العام.
    As for descipline, I've seen several translations, and I don't think one of them is more or less correct than the others. Here, descipline refers to sociolgy, so you can even translate it as هذا العلم.
    Jack said that "landscape" was used metaphorically. How about "ملامح" or "معالم". I don't like" :المشهد العام as it is used in the plural form.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I believe the adjective العام compensate for the singular form and makes المشهد العام a good equivalent for the plural "landscapes", but I understand your reticence to use it.
    As for ملامح and معالم I feel like they express steady features of the field, so if this is what "landscapes" mean, go for one of them.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I understand "landscapes" here to mean "the way things look" in each subfield of sociology. This encompasses things like:

latest research/findings
    controversies/debates
    topics of interest
    important developments
    etc.

It's like you're taking a panoramic view of each subfield.

This is a tough one to translate. I would definitely want the plural aspect to be conveyed, since it's not about the sociology landscape in general but the multiple landscapes within the field.

Perhaps:

attempting to understand the landscapes of the discipline
    الذين يحاولون أخذ صورة عامة عن كل من المجالات الفرعية ضمن علم الاجتماع

< Previous | Next >