Landscaping Terms: Cubic Yard vs. Regular Yard

< Previous | Next >

Bienvenidos

USA
English
Hi everyone,

I am trying to explain the difference between "cubic yards" and "regular yards" for people who are not used to the standard system (immigrants who are acquainted with the metric system).

This whole math stuff was never my forté, and I really don't feel like calling my math professors to find out how the heck to explain this.

I hope I don't sound stupid here :) :D

A cubic yard would represent volume while a regular yard would represent the regular "area" function, right?

Example: If you were ordering loam for your yard, what's the difference between "cubic yards" and "regular yards."

In landscaping, does cubic always pertain to volume, or is this a different case? I'm not a Landscape Architect so I wouldn't really know.

• Notquitegenius

US, English
    Cubic yard implies that there are 3 dimensions and therefore represents volume. A square yard would represent area and a yard by itself is just a length. A cubic yard is really close to a cubic meter so you could could tell them that it is similar.

Notquitegenius

US, English
    As to the difference in that sentec, If you ordered 30 yards of loam that would be the length of the strip you bought, but it doesn't tell you a lot unless you know the width of each strip. A cubic yard of loam would be like packing all the loam into a large box and measuring the volume.

< Previous | Next >